Inactive Users

I searched on the forum, but some posts turn up in the results and don't seem to exist (type "membership inactive").

My question is this, what are inactive users? I get a lot of spam users with this plugin as it circumvents the email verification (I don't get why, this is such a common practice!). However, it seems like there is some sort of anti-spam going on, as so many users are inactive. What does that mean?

Best,
Marcus

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Marcus,

Have you enabled incomplete signups? There's a checkbox on the options page.

That's my thought on where these 'inactive' users would be coming from. I'll ask a couple of the developers to comment further. Let us know!

Thanks!

• Marcus
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

yes, you're right. I disabled it before because I was having issues registering (can't remember why).

However, this still doesn't stop anyone from spam registering. I suppose it probably throws some spam bots off as the process is not a normal WP reg process, but I wonder for how long?

Not the end of the world for me just yet, as I just delete any users that don't post in the forum (that's why ppl register), but it's not ideal.

If a dev could let us know if this is in the works and if possible an eta, even a rough one, that would really be appreciated.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

My appologies if I'm not on topic for this post, but I alos get I get a lot of SPAM users that are "inactive" in my BuddyPress site.

The Members page gives a count of All Members and lists the Active members so I can tell some are "inactive". When I look at Users in the Dashboard, I can see the spam users by their address, but nothing to indicate they are "inactive". I would like to install the Members Pluging, but think it would be good to fix/understand this beforehand.

I don't know where you are seeing this option: "Have you enabled incomplete signups? There's a checkbox on the options page"

Here is what I see under options.

Registration Settings
    Allow new registrations
    Registration is disabled.
    User accounts may be registered.
    Logged in users may register new sites.
    Both sites and user accounts can be registered.

Disable or enable registration and who or what can be registered. (Default is disabled.)

If registration is disabled, please set NOBLOGREDIRECT in wp-config.php to a URL you will redirect visitors to if they visit a non-existent site

I have checked : "Both sites and user accounts can be registered."

Kind Regards,
    Larry

• Marcus

very much so. to the point that I might disable membership for now and add a few htaccess rules to prevent the few bp pages I don't want shown, and wait until this is sorted or figure something else out if this isn't sorted by the time I start using this for payments.

there's quite a few tickets for membership that have been open for weeks with no reply from a dev, is any work being done on the plugin at the moment?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

is any work being done on the plugin at the moment?

Yes, there is a big update coming - which is primarily why I've not been around on the forum that much. It is possible to use coupon codes (simple invites) and by further extension captcha on the registration forms to cut down spam users.

@lwmcmahon

I have checked : "Both sites and user accounts can be registered."

Registration should be disabled if you are using the membership plugin as that allows registration to take place outside of the control of the membership plugin.

• Marcus

Hi Barry,

That's ok then :slight_smile: this plugin is very good btw for membership, it's the best design concept I've used so far. It just lacks a few tweaks here and there!

Can I use a normal captcha plugins like with registration forms? That'll do for me.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

>I am assuming spam is more common on free membership/sign ups, right?
    >very much so

Then I pity those with free signups. I have Signup code and Pay-To-Blog plugins enabled, yet I get many of these INACTIVE members. I have some 50 new ones already today. Based on the user ID#, I've had to kill over 600.

I do not have the membership plugin installed. Power Tools helps with the cleanup, but it scares me to use it for fear of it going against good accounts.

I did set up a csutom slug in bp-custom.php to stop some offenders.

I wish I knew how these INACTIVE users were created so I would have a clue what to hide/rename.

Kind Regards,
    Larry

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@marcus

Can I use a normal captcha plugins like with registration forms?

They'll probably need a tweak - if you can find one you like, let me know and I'll post the changes needed to get it running on the membership forms.

@lwmcmahon

I do not have the membership plugin installed.

Sorry, I thought you where talking about the membership plugin, which this thread is for - not sure what you mean by inactive members then as in the membership plugin they are those that didn't complete a signup.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

If you would like me to start a new thread, let me know, but I'm seeing a number of "inactive" users.

The Members page gives a count of All Members(23) and then lists the Active members. I can tell some are "inactive" becuase the number of listed members ^= number of all members. It says, "Viewing member 1 to 1 (of 1 active members)." For lack of a better term, I call the other 22 members "inactive".

When I look at Users in the Dashboard, I can distingush the 22 spam users by their junky addresses, but nothing to indicate they are "inactive". I would like to install the Members Pluging, but think it would be good to fix/understand this beforehand.

Regards,
    Larrry

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I would like to install the Members Pluging, but think it would be good to fix/understand this beforehand.

Hi again :slight_smile:

If you don't have membership installed, then you don't have a membership inactive/ not active user issue - which this thread is really for. There is a fundamental difference between not active users in the membership plugin and inactive users in wordpress / buddypress and I think you are confusing the two.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

I do not hve the membership plugin installed, so yes seem to have picked the worng forum topic, but I hope my definition of "Inactive" was pretty clear:

The Members page gives a count of All Members(23) and then lists the Active members. I can tell some are "inactive" becuase the number of listed members ^= number of all members. It says, "Viewing member 1 to 1 (of 1 active members)." For lack of a better term, I call the other 22 members "inactive".

Now I am up to 154 such "inactive users" in "wordpress/buddypress".

Should I start a new forum topic or is the WPMU Dev not the place to bring this issue?

Regards,
    Larry

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.