Inactive users - after payment

Hi

I did a test buy of my membership.

After registration > Paypal button (complete payment > Welcome page

The users new account stays "inactive" even though the payment went through.

(see screenshot)

I dont want to manually get into admin and "activate" every new customer/member.

Any ideas - why they are not ready to start accessing content straight away?

Thanks Jonas

• jonascarlstrom
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Did another "test buy" - still "inactive" and not able to access :slight_frown:

Other Membership plugins I used generated a Paypal IPN URL (to paste into Paypal).

How does wpmudev-Membership "connect" to Paypal and solve this?

Is there any PDF guide/documentation for Membership on how to set this up?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jonas,

Thank you for the great questions.

The IPN just needs to be on and the URL is not important since the return URL is indeed encoded with each return URL. You can check the IPN history to see the URL that PayPal is sending the IPN to.

My IPN URL is set to a URL of a site that has not been active in years, but all the IPN's have worked flawlessly because of the encoding mentioned above.

PayPal only allows one IPN URL, but of course the option to override that URL is in almost every product WPMU DEV or not.

How does wpmudev-Membership "connect" to Paypal and solve this?

Actually it is in reverse in this instance, PayPal contacts membership.

What I recommend doing since the lead developer Barry recommended it in another thread from just a day or two ago is to mark the box Enable incomplete signup accounts until at least his next upcoming release. This can be found while logged into the admin dashboard --> Membership --> Options --> User Registration section.

Please advise if this all falls into place now.

Cheers, Joe

• jonascarlstrom
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Joe,

That helped me to "automate" it to active.

BUT my problem is that when clicking on the "buy now" button (standard membership). at : http://webbseminarium.com/saljsida/ (signup page)

The prospect first gets to create the account INSTEAD of first paying through Paypal and THEN create the account.

Right now they get access without paying (if they login using their choosed username/passw and dont bother press the paypal button)

PS One more thing after creating the account (register) I get these error messages (didnt see that before):

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-content/themes/eboard/header.php:2) in /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 680

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-content/themes/eboard/header.php:2) in /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 681

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-content/themes/eboard/header.php:2) in /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 682

Regards Jonas

• jonascarlstrom
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

And... :slight_smile:

The user was "active" BUT no Membership where added sp the y still couldnt access the account - if I didnt manually "add" the standard membership.

And when I did that I got this error inside WP admin

Warning: Missing argument 2 for wpdb::prepare(), called in /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/class.membership.php on line 447 and defined in /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 990

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php:990) in /home/webbsemi/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 876

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings and Happy New Year Jonas,

Thank you for the additional clarifications and details which are certainly helpful.

The prospect first gets to create the account INSTEAD of first paying through Paypal and THEN create the account.

This is absolutely true and the way it must be to including the same for Pro Sites.

Now I am not the coder so don't shoot me, I am just the piano player, but it was explained to me by both the coder and the WPMU DEV lead developer basically we cannot send the user to PayPal to pay without an account - then what are they paying for? They do not have an account yet to pay for?

So the account is made and when the PayPal IPN returns it has an account to credit.

Actually thinking this over, it is absolutely logical.

I get these error messages (didnt see that before):

These are actually warning messages and not error messages - annoying and alarming just the same.

How about try adding this code <?php ob_start(); ?> before <!DOCTYPE html> tag in header.php to fix the header warning messages.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• jonascarlstrom
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your support

But still.. I am back to square one. :slight_frown:

I bought just because of the Membership plugin. But almost 2 weeks after that.
    I still cant get this "simple" thing to work

I mean how hard can it be to:

1) Protect 5 video pages (the course)
    2) Put up a buy button (Paypal)
    3) Let them get access to the course - directly after payment

Can anyone in the support team have look at my account/wp-admin? To see if there is some other settings that fails.

this is taking to waay much of my time -

or I have to try some other membership script asap

regards Jonas

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jonas,

Thank you for the additional input which is certainly appreciated.

You did not mention a word about if the warning messages and if they were indeed cured by the coding snippet I gave you?

I mean how hard can it be to:

1) Protect 5 video pages (the course)

Easy as pie using URL groups.

2) Put up a buy button (Paypal)

PayPal IPN was not even set up right for this and that is how this ticket started, but you cannot "put up a PayPal button" in any event or with any membership script without configuration of the script in all events to include payment acknowledgement and return without PayPal IPN set correctly i.e. enabled.

3) Let them get access to the course - directly after payment

This is in presentation and the return page being setup correctly and informative.

I must admit I do sympathize with your frustration but I am not psychic and I cannot address issues I do not know about.

I asked about the PayPal IPN, I asked about and cured the headers warning I believe, and every item you have presented to date I have indeed cured of course with your assistance since I did not access the site and do it directly myself.

this is taking to waay much of my time

That very well may be but as I mentioned I am not psychic and have addressed every single issue.

The skills of knowing about PayPal IPN and other things are not part of things we should need to teach folks. I learned this in my first dealing with automated payments in 1998 and I have not messed with WordPress until 2010.

However, I would like to note that Membership is one of the hardest plugins to configure that WPMU DEV has, if indeed there is a level of difficulty to be assigned to these items.

You are welcome to take my time designing and setting up your site off forum if you so desire - but that will be $80 an hour contract. WPMU DEV is not going to pay for custom off forum professional development.

On the other hand I am more then willing to address issues here in the forum as they are presented - and until they are presented how can you expect me to respond to what I do not know?

This is indeed how easy it is - setup PayPal IPN to return correctly. Use URL groups to protect the video page/post URLs. Setup a welcome page with level shortcodes hiding or displaying the links to the videos as applicable.

Please advise if this clears the air a bit for you on a possible work flow to the goal you have in mind for your WordPress installation.

Looking forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi there,

I noticed that we are still waiting for a response from you, have you managed to solve this? please let us know how you are getting on or if you need any further help or if in fact the problem is now solved.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.