Inconsistencies with membership pro 2

I'm having some problems dealing with Membership 2 Pro, the member are joining in "Tier 1" membership, the bill is created for $2.00, but there is no payment gateway to make the payment with, this is a random situation, don't happen with all members.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Gary,

Do you have some further information about the setup those affected members are using, like Browser, OS and their versions so we could test it out and check if it's related to that?

Also, could you set up a staging site with M2 1.1.6 beta (attached) as it has quite a few fixes included that might help with this as well and test it out there and see if you can replicate the issue?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Gary
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I just updated my IPN. it looks like paypal turned it off at some point. I don't know if that may be some of the issue. It would explain missing gateways on people that chose Tier 1 (i believe so anyway).

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Gary

Where would i fin information on those users? Like Browser, OS, etc.?

It might be possible to "correlate" members and Google Analytics stats if you do have them implemented to find that info but usually in such cases it all goes down to asking members to tell you that. But let's first see how this goes after re-enabling IPN.

IPN being disabled shouldn't actually cause the gateway to be "hidden" from members, it would more likely cause an issue with payment being made but not detected by Membership 2 Pro but there's always a chance that something might get "messed up" under the hood due to IPN being disabled.

Let's see how it goes and if that doesn't help, we'll need to "dig deeper" so let us know, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Gary

There have been a few signups for Tier 1, since the IPN was reactivated. One worked and shows the gateway. A couple others are in pending and do not have a gateway listed. I still don't know why this is happening. I'm not going to be able to make much money like this.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Gary,

Are you sure that the members without gateway have actually tried to perform the payment?
    The thing is that if they leave before making the payment their account will show as billed and without any payment gateway assigned.

For example, visitor comes to the site and goes to the registration page, he chooses a membership and registers his account, after this step he will be redirected to checkout page where he needs to click on PayPal button to complete the payment.
    If they don't click on that button and they leave that page they will have an account without membership created on your site and that account will show as billed, without gateway selected.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Gary

Ok. If this is a possibility, then shouldn't there be an email template to handle such a situation? An email should be generated to ask the user if they had any problems during check out, or encourage them to follow through.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Gary

The plugin doesn't know initially "why" user didn't pay: was it that the user intentionally abandoned payment or "something happened"? But you're right, it would make sense to send such "follow up" e-mail and I think we already have an e-mail built in into the Membership 2 Pro that could help.

On a "Membership 2 Pro -> Add-ons" page you can enable "Additional Automated Messages" add-on module. Once that's done, on a "Membership 2 Pro -> Settings -> Automated Email Response" page, select the "Payment -> After due" and click "Load Template".

After that enable it (gray toggle - switch to green) and set how many days after due date the message should be sent out. The default "due" date for an initial invoice for such abandoned signup would be the same as the signup date so you can set it e.g. to 1 or 3 days after that. You can also customize the message there.

What should then happen is that every user that didn't pay for the membership - so either signed up and abandoned payment or did pay before but last payment got declined for some reason and the invoice got overdue - would get an e-mail message reminding about the payment.

Would that work for you?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Gary

I tried it and it sent the same message reminding them to make a payment twice in 6 hours. That's not good. That's harassment. I had to turn it off.

The timestamps on the emails are 12:34pm and 6:35pm. Exact message to the exact same individuals.

• Gary

I had thought i turned off the green toggle switch for "after duedate" but I didn't. I just went in and did it now.

I was using sendinblue smtp by toggling that on in the sendinblue plugin. last night I thought that maybe that was somehow part of the issue. But, even with the that toggled off, and the automatic message AFTER DUE turned on, the messages have been getting sent out over and over again.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Gary

I've accessed the site to check it and the "Payment - After Due" message is currently turned on:

I'm not sure though, taking your recent posts into account, whether it should be enabled or disabled at this moment. However, even if it's enabled it should not send multiple e-mails - there should be just one e-mail to the member and (with current settings) a copy to the administrator.

I've noticed however, that there's Varnish cache apparently running and it might be quite "stubborn" sometimes - if it prevents e-mail queue from being cleared, such duplicated e-mail could happen. That said, would you please try this:

1. add following lines to the "wp-config.php" file of your site, right above the "/* That's all, stop editing */" line:

define( "MS_DUPLICATE_EMAIL_HOURS", 24 );
    define( "MS_LOG_EMAILS", true );

These lines should prevent duplicate messages and cause all the outgoing messages to be logged in so we could see an e-mail log later.

2. try setting cache on Pause (there's option for that) temporarily

Let's see if that stops those duplicated messages, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Gary

so far so good on the not sending duplicate messages. we'll see.
    But I have a problem, still.

I had enabled account verification. There is no continuity for the user when they verify the email. they were first asked to select a membership. then, when they click on the confirmation email, it takes them to the account page. If they then try to sign up (which they probably won't, because of the confusion), they will be asked to choose a membership again.

I really need the email confirmation. But, I can't turn it on until there is some continuity. It has to be smooth and easy and logical for someone to create an account and set up a membership. I would lose everybody on this the way it is.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Gary

so far so good on the not sending duplicate messages. we'll see.

That's a good news, thanks for letting me know!

I had enabled account verification. There is no continuity for the user when they verify the email. they were first asked to select a membership.

Yes, that's accurate. Unfortunately, there's a bug related to account verification that's causing it. Our developers are already aware of it and there's a fix prepared that's undergoing tests and if is confirmed it should be included in 1.1.6 release.

Another issue. After i turned it off and did a test run with free trial, I see that the free trial does not schedule a paypal subscription.

Free trials do not create subscription indeed. Member instantly gains access to the protected content and is expected to make payment before trial expires. However, for PayPal gateway you can change that. To do this add one more line to the "wp-config.php" file (preferably right above or below those that you added recently):

define( "MS_PAYPAL_TRIAL_SUBSCRIPTION", true );

This is also documented on "Membership 2 -> Help -> Advanced Settings" page inside the plugin. With that line added to wp-config.php the Member would be asked for payment details upfront - upon signup for a trial - and the payment would automatically be taken right before trial expiration (unless cancelled by user).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Gary

Thank you for keeping me updated and I'm sorry to hear that the issue persists!

I believe too that there's a solution for this, it shouldn't be happening. But at this stage I'll need to reach out to our developers for help. They'll need to check the site and it's possible that they might need to apply some patch or a "custom fix" there. This means that they'll need a full access to the site too.

Unfortunately, credentials that you provided during the chat seem to be no longer valid so could you please provide me with new ones?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

I'll then include our developers and I believe we'll be able to find a permanent solution for this.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.