Inconsistent behavior in MarketPress? And a couple brief questions

First, awesome plugin!

A couple brief consistency-related questions that immediately strike me;

1. The Product Name seems to support
in order to make the post look nicer, particularly with longer titles, and does work in the product page itself. However, when the Product Name is called in the widget,
doesn't work. Therefore, if I wish to do that, it seems the widget is not viable. Bug? A fix for that, or workaround?

2. The majority of the store-related pages are titled 'Untitled.' How do I straighten that out?

3. How can I force all store-related pages to full-page with no sidebar?

4. When 'random' is selected in a widget, are there any mechanisms to ensure the same product is not repeated on the same page? Further, I'd like the widget to be configurable to display a specific product. Any way to do that?

5. On the top of the product page is a dashed line. Why is it there? Is it there in error?

6. How do I edit the required fields for check-out? Specifically, the Name, Email, and Phone are all I wish to get prior to payment.

Dan

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey Dan,

Welcome to the Community! Glad you are liking the plugin :slight_smile:

Let me get these answers one by one:

1. The Product Name seems to support
    in order to make the post look nicer, particularly with longer titles, and does work in the product page itself. However, when the Product Name is called in the widget,
    doesn't work. Therefore, if I wish to do that, it seems the widget is not viable. Bug? A fix for that, or workaround?

I am not very clear on what you are trying to do here, are you saying that the widget doesn't show looong titles?

I tried it out (disabled the thumbnail) and it worked pretty well. See the screenshot attached.

2. The majority of the store-related pages are titled 'Untitled.' How do I straighten that out?

I see it too, one some themes. You can solve this by using the MarketPress templates that I have attached here. Just upload them into your theme folder. (inside mptemplates.zip)

3. How can I force all store-related pages to full-page with no sidebar?

I have removed the sidebars from the attached templates, that is the way to do it :slight_smile:

4. When 'random' is selected in a widget, are there any mechanisms to ensure the same product is not repeated on the same page? Further, I'd like the widget to be configurable to display a specific product. Any way to do that?

No, there are no option to make sure the same product isn't repeated. If you have many products, the chances of the same product showing up is pretty minimal.

You can display a specific product using the shortcode in a text widget.

[mp_product product_id="1" title="1" content="excerpt" image="single" meta="1"]

You can read more about this shortcode in the Shrotcodes tab in MarketPress settings. ( wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=product&page=marketpress&tab=shortcodes )

5. On the top of the product page is a dashed line. Why is it there? Is it there in error?

This could be part of your theme, give me a direct link and I will provide you with the fix to hide it out. Should be simple.

6. How do I edit the required fields for check-out? Specifically, the Name, Email, and Phone are all I wish to get prior to payment.

There are defined in template-functions.php in MarketPress plugin folder (wp-content\plugins\marketpress\marketpress-includes), editing the plugin files would mean losing it over a plugin update.

Let me ask the developer on how to do it properly.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

• Paul

Arun, excellent replies as always!

dannyo, Wanted to provide more followup:

I'm not seeing this on my local site. Can you advise specifically which store pages are showing this? Single product page, Product category, Shopping cart? Checkout? etc?

Instead of making edits to the plugin files it might be easier to require login to purchase. Look under the Store Settings page. Under the General tab. In the Misc Settings section http://screencast.com/t/0OyYhDXS

• dannyo

Arun,

Regarding the looong titles: it doesn't work. I'm using
    in there, which works on the product page itself but not on the widget.

Theme pages; done, thank you, however the sidebars still exist on product pages.

Dashed line; able to remove it in css. Playing with that one.

I am using the ThemeID responsive with child.

>> My unresolved items are
    in titles not translating in widgets, removing sidebars from the product pages.

Yikes.

• Paul

dannyo,

regarding your point #1, I'm trying to figure out what you mean by does't work. Can you reply with more details so we know what is being seen or not seen. A screenshot help us understand. This could be a theme issue. So not 100% under control of MarketPress.

Arun,
    Yeah, I'm aware of the issues between MarketPress and some theme. Again, we can't control how themes are coded. A theme can literally break a plugin functionality. I'll install the theme and see if I can make some recommendations. But so far these are not considered MarketPress bugs.

• Paul

Ok. Have installed the theme. I've created a product with a very long title. The widget cart looks fine to me.

http://screencast.com/t/EtxLpMWNjX

dannyo, I'm not sure but you might want to check your CSS. If you are using a child theme for the responsive theme you might be in fact effecting the output of the MarketPress code.

Also, I'm not seeing any odd page titles under any of the MarketPress product, category, shopping cart, checkout pages.

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey dannyo,

What a coincidence, that you are using Theme ID responsive as well. nice!

Can you please provide a screenshot / live link of how the long title looks on your sidebar? It works for me and Paul.

For the product pages just make a copy your single.php and rename it into mp_product.php. Then open it up and remove the call to sidebar (usually <?php get_sidebar(); ?> )

You might want to customize the css a bit to fill in the whole page, see if the tips on this article helps you: http://millionclues.com/problogging/wordpress-tips/make-full-width-page-in-wordpress/ (just for the css alone).

Good luck!

• aecnu

Greetings dannyo,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.