Incorrectly Charging Sales Tax for International/Non-US Customers

Marketpress 3 incorrectly charges Indiana sales tax for international (non-US) customers.

Indiana, along with many other US states based on "destination" sales tax laws, should never charge sales tax on products sold to customers who live outside of the United States.

We either need an update to the tax rules in Marketpress to prevent that or a simple checkbox that turns off sales tax on any international order.

To be clear, this is how sales tax should be processed for my Marketpress store:
* Charge sales tax of 7% to Indiana, USA residents only.
* Charge no tax to other state's customers in the USA.
* Charge no tax to customers in other countries.

As things stand now, I have to go back and issue refunds every time an international customer orders something.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Mike,

We either need an update to the tax rules in Marketpress to prevent that or a simple checkbox that turns off sales tax on any international order.

I'm afraid MarketPress does not have this option. As you saw it charges tax based on store location and not the buyer place.
    I spoke with our developer is this is possible to change at the moment, because they are aware of the issue, but they don't have any workaround for that. I'm not able to tell you when it will be changed :slight_frown:

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Alison

Piggybacking here because this is recent and a real problem --

Kasia, I don't understand your answer. MarketPress understands that, if the buyer is in the United States and is in a different state from the store location, it should not charge sales tax. (It does this correctly. If my store is in California and my buyer is in Utah, it does not charge sales tax.)

Why, then, does it charge sales tax for international orders? It should be very similar logic -- if the buyer's shipping address is in a different country from my store, don't charge sales tax.

This seems like a bug, not a missing feature. Could we get a fix for it? Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.