Increase Memory/Max Execution Time

Hello! For the past several hours, I have been unable to upload new media files to be used on my Wordpress site. Even the smallest of .png will load halfway, get stuck and spit out an HTTP error.

Turns out it's not just a media issue. I'm not able to save ANY changes or updates on my site at all! The error I receive says either HTTP error or CONNECTION TIMED OUT.

I've already deactivated all plugins and switched to WP's twenty-sixteen theme-- those had no effect. Looks like I need to Increase my memory limit in wp-config.php AND/OR increase the maximum execution time in my php.ini file. I would love for someone to walk me through this and Explain Like I'm 5.

The website is mathbyliz.com

Thank you!

• Nithin

Hi Lizzy,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

You'll have to create a php.ini file with the following rules, and upload this using a FTP client to your root directory, ie the path where wp-conifg.php resides.

upload_max_filesize = 1000M
    post_max_size = 2000M
    memory_limit = 3000M
    file_uploads = On
    max_execution_time = 180

In the above example rule, the memory is set to 3000M, max execution time is 180, upload_max_filesize is the maximum size of an uploaded file, and post_max_size is the maximum size of the post data(entire request which happens in your website).

The file names php.ini, and it's paths depends upon your host, and it can vary from one host to another, for Godaddy the file name would be .user.ini, please check this link to know more details memory limits, and how to increase these here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

If you are still not able to make this work even after following the above article, would recommend you to get in touch with your host, so that they could increase these limits.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.