Increased Spacing between Event and Details.

The text (details) about the event comes directly (ie no space/paragraph break) after the address and cost of the event.

It makes it difficult to see - at a glance - where the text starts.

There needs to be a paragraph break.

Space for a sub-title like "Details" followed by the course content would be even better.

Then the map can follow after that.

Thanks.

PS I will add a screenshot from the logged in site.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen

Hope your well today and thanks for your patience here, sorry about the delay.

I now have the events working, but the categories conflict with this, due to this, I've had to disable categories for now on the stranger setting, but there's a fix here

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/authorizenet-gateway-beta-release#post-562225

Could you install that and test that it works for you when you add categories back to the free roam level?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

You overestimate my abilities. I am non-IT!

I have no idea what to do with that list of text that the link takes you to.

I have to say I am about to throw my computer at the wall due to the changes that keep happening each time a plug-in doesn't work.

I have NO access to my site at present (without being logged in, a visitor gets all pages as "Proteced" content - even though the stranger settings have not been changed (by me) and should allow access to most of the site.

I am a bit lost as to what to do next.

Please advise so a non-IT person can understand.

I am happy if you want to do in and make is accessible as I do not know what to do.

PS I was going to send the site to my testers tomorrow but I am in no position to let them see it. Help!

• Karen

Jack

Whatever was done - has allowed Events to show to non-members BUT every other page is now protected.

Can you please reverse what was done so I can just get on with trying to fix things. '

I have to show people the site tomorrow and am becoming frantic that I haven't been able to do anything to it all day. I don't have time (or knowledge) to fix code.

I just need a plug-in that works.

Sorry but I am hitting a deadline and not in a position to show anyone anything!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen

Hope your well today and sorry about this.

I see that the URL group was removed, so now individual access to events doesn't work, I've added the categories back that you had, under membership > access levels > Roam Freely.

If you upgrade to the beta I linked to above, just delete your current membership plugin and add the new one via plugins > add new > upload :slight_smile:

Then when that is done, what I done with the events will technically work, as after speaking with the lead developer there was a bug with URL groups and categories rules.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

**Membership plugin**

Roam freely is now Visitor (FYI).

I am puzzled about RF/Visitor even having categories. Undet membership/options/general I only ticked the one box to say stranger setting was set to roam freely. I can't see how categories even came into the discussion as I didn't do anything but tick that one box!

regarding the upgrade:...OK! I just looked at the link again and scrolled down to see there was an ATTACHMENT which was a zip file. Now I get it. That is the new plugin to upload (will have to do that tomorrow when in the office as bloody Evernote tries to open it on my iPad and Evernote can't open it.

**events plugin **

I will attach a doc tomorrow to show that these are not working. There are no "No/maybe/I'm attending" buttons on an event nor does a payment button appears...so there is no way to book an event. There are no list of My bookings so you can see the events/courses you've booked but that used to be there I think (unless it was the previous plugin?).

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen

Hope your well today and thanks for the additional information.

When I made the original edit (which was just a URL group to actually allow access to the events as individually clicking on them shows protected. The Roam Freely access level which is the stranger one, had categories set (screenshot attached).

There shouldn't with events+ be a my bookings page, so that's possible it was a previous plugin, the other functionality though should be working and I believe this is still related to membership which the update should solve :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack
    I just deactivated the old membership plug-in and uploaded the one above and get this message when I tried (it failed). Do i have to delete (not just deactivate) the old plugin? Will I lose my previous data entered?

"Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

Destination folder already exists. /home1/profetb3/public_html/publicaffairsrecruitment/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/membership/

Plugin install failed."

Return to Plugins page

• Karen

Jack

Went back and saw the guy said to delete the file and install the new zip which I have now done. He said you wouldn't lose the data so I am about to find out if that is true.

PS I still don't see how to even accesss categories for Roam Freely/Visitor! I can see you have them and can access them, but I don't recall ticking any categories as there was only one button - the level to assign strangers. Ah well.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen

Hope your well today and thanks for the additional information.

When you activated the new one did all go well? Any issues at all?

On the categories, to be honest I'm not entirely sure, they were already setup when I first looked and when me and the developer went through it that's when we noticed the bug between categories and the URL group rules, which is why we took the screenshots, so we could replicate :slight_smile:

Roam Freely categories were/are set in membership > access levels > roam freely > edit,

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

I am trying to understand the access levels and subscriptions so I know how to set them up. I have one description as ingredients (=rules), food(=access levels) and dishes (=subscriptions) and menu(=membership).

Are there any other"it's like...." Examples.

For this issue I just thought you would have a stranger level and the anything else is hidden by various access levels.

I am not getting the link between access levels and events when events should be seen by everyone and not coded at all as they are all "observable" by visitors to the site.

Perhaps some info on how the membership plugin works with or overrides other plugins like Events would be useful as I can't see any info along those lines.

Thanks.

I am now thinking I have to work out how membership works first before fiddling with events?

Thanks for any further insights.

• DavidM

Hi @Karen,

Working alongside Jack on this, I just wanted to mention, QA Visitor is a specific user role that our Q&A plugin creates. That really should cause any concerns regarding Events+ though.

Also, just in case you haven't seen 'em already, we've got this great video tutorial series for Membership right here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmGpalbUyU&list=PLV1BcivFAIdtF4p7CYVfMbVAJ4JQ1Rpe9

If you haven't seen those yet, those would possibly be the very best starting point, really. They're incredible and cover the plugin in depth.

Cheers,
    David

• Karen

DavidM

Thanks for the suggestion - BUT yes I have watched them (several times) but they do not help with understanding access vs subscriptions.

If you look at all the posts (as I have been doing) the same questions are arising from lots of different users.

People think it is them not understanding - but we can't all be dense. If lots of people are asking for more clarification AFTER we have all read the manual (and in many cases we are quoting the same areas as being confusing) and watched the videos, then it seems that more explanation is needed.

Basically - as I have mentioned above and in other posts - you need some case studies. (Person A wants to X, this is how to set it up and how to approach it.)

I am working through the explanation from Ari - which looks to be comprehensive and I will see if it makes sense as I apply it to my situation. If it does, I suggest (strongly) that it be added to the manual which doesn't look like it has had any updating to it for over 2 years (judging by the question I asked recently which was almost word perfect from someone else 2 years ago - and I hadn't seen it when I wrote mine).

Hope that helps - I am doing a lot of research on other questions asked to try and educate myself HOWEVER someone should be taking the questions and answers and - over time - integrating them in to the manuals so they are not asked over and over. (I am business - 13 years so far - and that is what we do.)

Keep it idiot-proof for the users. Don't make them hunt up information you already have which could easily be included in a manual. The manual should not be set in stone - it should evolve with people's questions so it clarifies for the next person.

I see you are losing a lot of people over time as they give up in frustration - this is an easy way to stop that happening. The manual is the first place people go to.

Your "marketing" says you have the best documentation - but there are over 50 plugins and on the video / Youtube station there are 8 or 9 videos and 5 of those are not even about the plugins - That tells me that the marketing hype and the reality for the users are worlds apart...and people are getting angry about the lack of information (esp those doing work for clients who are promising delivery based on the information promised before you sign up. At present it is overpromise and underdeliver when it should be the other way around. (Again this is said to help you out - my view is if someone doesn't tell you, you will never know - and it is best to know if you want to be in business for the long haul.)

FYI in case anyone at WPMU Dev is wondering why there is angst and frustration amongst the users. (If you don't think that is the case, then why are people giving me points for "reassuring them" that they aren't stupid and for "saving them time"?) That should not be happening.

PS I know most of the above is wildly off (original ) topic. Not sure if it needs to be renamed as it is mostly about membership - if it could be copied for that, others would find it useful. Anyway. for someone there to decide.

As always, aiming to be helpful to those who come after and WPMU Dev.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen

Hope your well today and thanks for the additional information and your valuable feedback.

What happens within Membership is, that categories and post protection.
    These protection rules count for all other post types currently.

Events+ is a custom post type (incsub_event).

This means that as categories were protected under a positive rule, anything not covered by that positive rule, so that is all protected under that rule if that makes sense?

As a positive rule blocks anything that isn't covered by it within it's rule set, the negative rules restrict so that anything not covered by the negative rule isn't protected and is open.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.