Independant network site login - is there a way?

Hi and good morning.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to log into a network site, without being redirected to the main site?

I have created a log in page for one of my network sites but it re-directs back to the main blog for log in, not good.

This guy explains better in this post, but there are no answers to the dilema...http://wordpress.org/ideas/topic/other-approach-on-network-sites-login-and-registration

So, is there a plugin within wpmudev that will do this job or is there another way round it?

Many thanks in advance,
Regards, wayne.

• Wayne
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Good morning Ari, nice to see you here again.

I will try your solution, and many thanks for the quick response. I will let you know what happens.

I have never created a template file for log in but I am sure I can do it.

Thanks a million.

Wayne

• Wayne

Hi Ari,
    Yes for now just a normal page will do but...
    The plugin works a treat using the widget only. It seems to have enough options to make it workable.

It's a shame though that WP has this crazy default system of sending logins to the main blog instad of treating new blogs on a network as independent sites. I guess this will be addressed in future upgrades, what do you think?
    I will now have to build this plugin into the functionality of each new blog.
    I am sure I will get there in the end.. lol

Thanks for your advice again, and good morning to you.
    Regards
    Wayne.

• Wayne

Hi again Ari... Hope all's well for you!

Hope you don't mind me asking about the digital ocean server...

It looks like I will have to move my install to Digital Ocean in order to make domain mapping work?
    I think you said you use it for this purpose?

I am developing it on a shared hosting server at the moment I am guessing that domain mapping will not work properly there?

Can you tell me if domain mapping will work with my install if I move it there after development?

Thanks and regards.

Wayne

• Wayne

Hi again Ari,

I think I just need some general pointers on domain mapping and shared vs Digital ocean servers.

The docs seem a bit ambiguous as they say that shared ip does not seem a good idea then goes on to say you can use it with certain snags.

Could you clirify the best way to go please.
    I know sharedhosting is for starters, but its good for development because of the cpanel.

Thanks a million, Wayne.

• aristath
    • Recruit

It looks like I will have to move my install to Digital Ocean in order to make domain mapping work?

No, you don't have to use digitalocean. I just use it because it makes my life easier.
    Shared hosts are in general not the bes solution for use with this kind of plugin because of 2 things:
    1) cPanel has the tendency to mess things up
    2) you have to have a dedicated IP.

cPanel can be an issue because sometimes it requires you to add any domains you want to use as addon domain etc, and you have to use a dedicated IP!

On VPS however there is no cPanel and you can do whatever you want. domains will simply be pointed to your site, and VPSs have an IP of their own anyway.

So even if you can use it with shared hosting, a VPS will be easier and more effective in the long run.
    Digital Ocean is just a company that I use and I am extremely satisfied with them. Their prices are pretty much the same as a shared host and their servers are really fast and versatile.

You can use shared hosting for your development, there's no issue there.
    Afte you're finished developing you can then use our Snapshot plugin for the migration.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.