Individual cart versus Global cart versus Etsy cart

Hello guys,

After installing Marketpress I am coming to conclusion that both cart solutions available, individual and global, are not suitable to me.

The individual cart solution simply doesn't allow a smooth navigation. You are not allowed to go vendor by vendor adding products to your cart and checkout at the end (as expected for an e-commerce site).

The global cart solution doesn't allow you to charge a fee from the vendors.

So my question is: Is there any middle solution (like etsy cart) foreseen for short-term?

Thank you in advance,

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Paypal Global Cart doesn't allow for Paypal Adaptive Payments aka Chained Payments.

And Chained Payments doesn't allow for a global cart.

With Paypal Chained payments, each store would have it's own checkout with you taking a cut of the sales.

Take care.

• paulosobrinho
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for reply.

Maybe the ideal solution would be what etsy does (see figure below). They have some kind of multi-cart solution in which you can check-out each vendor individually, but the products of each vendor are presented together (in the same page).

Another solution (that doesn't seem to be the more elegant) would be to include the network owner in the list of the paypal parallel payment. In this case, the buyer probably will see the network owner in the list of recipients.

Please, comments...!?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

hmmm, I love the idea of having a single checkout page like Etsy have there.

And you know that this is pretty common, the request for a single cart whilst using chained payments or another payment provider.

Let's make this an official feature request. It would be a fairly major change so I can't give you an ETA for this as our developer will need to assess everything first. It maybe that it will have to be a major release later.

Anyway, lets see what he says about this.

Thanks.

• GroovyCanary
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

+1 +1 +1!!!

I'm at a cross roads right now as to how to move forwards. Like many others of Marketpress I want to use it with a multisite install to create an Etsy style marketplace. Whilst I'm loving most of what the developers have created with Marketpress, having a global cart and being able to take a % of sales is essential functionality. Having put a fair amount of time into my development to date I've now discovered this isn't possible :slight_frown:

The ideal scenario would be to do it like Amazon where the customer pays for everything in one seamless payment process. Whilst I understand the reasons why Marketpress doesn't currently offer that I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a solution that enables the main site to take the whole payment for the global cart initially and then subsequently pay each seller their % of the sale afterwards (if there is a plugin to do that please let me know!!).

So the half-way house would be to do what's been suggested in this thread, present the individual carts for each seller on one checkout page and enable the user to checkout of each one in turn, bringing them back to that same page after they have completed each one to make it as easy as possible for them to checkout of the next one.

From my experience of Marketpress so far I think this is the single biggest improvement that could be made to an already great plugin and help boost its popularity. Please keep us posted on progress (or not) of this feature.

Thanks.

• Roger Beaujard
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Several years and versions later and no responses. Any word? This really shouldn't be a difficult task.

Code logic could be broken down simply.

• Enable global cart with chained payments and group products by vendor
    • On Checkout, calculate and show shipping cost for each vendor and present a grand total
    • Behind the scenes run a batch of all the transactions for each vendor

This is not an impossible task. Kinda weird that this is not implemented since customers have been asking for years. I don't think any existing customers were asking for attempts at some kinda "wonder theme" :wink:

Please advise on status of a functioning global cart that supports chained payments. Thank you.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

@Roger Beaujard

Several years, since the end of 2012?

Whilst it's a reasonably popular request, it's by no means the most popular and as such other features and plugin(s) improvements took precedence. Take this ticket, you're only the 6th person in just under three years, compared to the amount of members we have and the popularity of other requests, that isn't a high number.

There is no eta on this, sorry. It is still on the agenda.

As the request is in the pipeline I'll mark this ticket as closed for now.

Have a great day.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.