Infinite scanning by defender

When I scan my site from the Dashboard, Defender tells me to wait 'a few minutes'. Make that a few hours. But arriving at 25.01% after 3-4 hours he scan stops, there is no progress anymore.
First I assumed it lost connection, so I restarted and BINGO, again at the same percentage it stopped.

My site is protected by CloudFlare, don't know if that might be relevant.

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello Wilko
    Hope you're well!

When I logged in via support access I could see your php max_execution_time was set to "0" which can sometimes read out like that through our DEV Dashboard plugin. The first step I recommend completing is checking the actual value of your php settings. Could you please access your site via FTP or cPanel File Manager and create a file at your web root? Name the file something like test.php and place the following code in it.

<?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

Now you can go to your-domain.com/test.php and a page of information will be displayed. The only two values I would like from the page is your php "memory_limit" and "max_execution_time". After you grab the values, you can safely delete the test.php file for now.

Can't wait to hear back. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello Wilko
    Hope you're well and thanks for sharing the info.

I believe those values are really a bit low and this may be why you are seeing the Defender scan timeout. The article below will show you how to increase your php limits.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

I would raise the php memory_limit to 256M and try the max_execution_time at 300. If your web host does not allow values that high, I would raise them to the max they allow.

After changing the limits, be sure to pop in the phpinfo(); in my first reply so you can check to make sure the values have changed.

Hopefully this will fix the problem for you. Can't wait to hear back.

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.