Infinite SEO and Domain Mapping - Sitemap not mapped

Hi Guys,

I have reviewed several threads on this topic all of which ended without a solution being presented.

I have Infinite SEO and Domain Mapping installed (both your plugins and the latest updated version).

With Domain Mapping I have selected to use Mapped Domain in the Network Options.

The sitemap that is generated by Infinite SEO uses the subdomain (unmapped domain name) rather than the mapped domain name.

I read a few threads that suggested that the sitemap may have been created by accessing it from the sub-domain which doesn't really make sense if I have selected the use Mapped Domain option in the Domain Mapping plugin Network Admin page. However, to test this I deleted the file that was generated and re-generated it but to no avail - I still get the sub-domain.

I think this is a bug in the Infinite SEO plugin because on the Sitemap tab it displays the url for the site map using the sub-domain. I think this component of the coding is where the bug is.

If a solution has been identified for this issue and you can point me to the correct thread I would appreciate it as I have read more than a dozen threads that relate to this issue and none appear to be resolved.

Thanks,
Pat

  • wlpdrpat

    FYI - I enabled the dashboard widget and clicked the update sitemap now from the dashboard and this updated the url in the sitemap.

    So, for the moment this is an effective workaround. However, there is still an unresolved issue that needs to be fixed. As in my case I have close to a hundred sites that use domain mapping and rather than all the sitemaps being created as expected I now have to go through all of them individually, enabled the dashboard widget, and update the sitemap manually. Rather a pain.

    Additionally, the next question is if I am using the feature to automatically regenerate the sitemap when a new post is published will this revert the sitemap back to the sub-domain url or will it continue to use the mapped domain name? I don't know the answer to this question yet. I have published a new post and I am waiting for the sitemap to regenerate and will let you know the outcome when this occurs.

    Thanks,
    Pat

  • wlpdrpat

    Hey Shawn,

    Thanks for you input. However, as I mentioned I reviewed a number of posts, which included the one you mentioned. I did try deleting the file and regenerating the sitemap by visiting mappeddomain.com/sitemap.xml. This did not generated the sitemap with the mapped domain name. Again the only work around that I found was using the dashboard widget Update Sitemap Now to regenerate the sitemap.

    It seems to me that integrating this function into the options page would be a simple solution. Or a check for mapped domain that then automatically runs the Update Sitemap Now function.

    Pat

  • 3SixtyEvolve

    Hi Pat

    Thank you for posting your support question to the Community. And I appreciate your thorough feedback.

    I have gone through your posts and I do believe that I need to ask the Developer for feedback on this one. Allow me to get in touch with him, so that we can work towards a solution for you.

    If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

    I will revert back to you at the earliest. Have a good day!

    Gina

  • Vladislav

    Hi,

    Indeed, this kind of setup can be a bit problematic in practice, which is definitely not something we want. There are some other threads that raise this question as well. Can you please try the attached update and see if it helps with the issue? Once you apply the patch, you'll also want to update your sitemaps (you can do so easily by using the dashboard widget that comes with the plugin).

  • wlpdrpat

    Hey Ve,

    I just tested the update that you provided and here is what I found, which I found a bit strange and difficult to test.

    With a newly created site that is using domain mapping:

    visit: newdomainmapped.com/sitemap.xml it generates a sitemap with urls for newsite.mymultisite.com

    If I delete the sitemap.xml or regenerate the sitemap using the dashboard widget and visit newdomainmapped.com/sitemap.xml it generates a sitemap with urls for newdomainmapped.com

    So, my testing still shows that the initial creation of the sitemap is using the multisite domain name rather than the mapped domain name, but once any method of regenerating the sitemap is used all future sitemaps are good to go.

    I have looked through the coding and the changes that you have made and I can't understand why the behavior I have described is still occurring as it appears that it should be resolved.

    Of course the above is occurring on my production site which has many plugins activated so it may relate to a conflict with one of my other plugins.

    I will do some testing with it on a clean install to try to troubleshoot it for my install and let you know what I find.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Pat

  • aecnu

    Greetings Pat,

    Thank you for your feedback and input into this issue.

    So, my testing still shows that the initial creation of the sitemap is using the multisite domain name rather than the mapped domain name, but once any method of regenerating the sitemap is used all future sitemaps are good to go.

    This one is a chicken before the egg type scenario, the sub site must be created first (therefore the sub site mapping) before a domain can indeed be mapped to it.

    Cheers, Joe