Infinite SEO casuing 500 errors

i was having issues with 500 errors and thought it might have been my apache, after messing with my .htaccess file the errors were still there…sooo.. i started down the ‘disable plugin’ path and one by one i disabled plugins to figure out which one was causing the error.. well the second i disabled the “Infinite SEO” i got the 500 error..

from my apache error log right after i enabled the plugin..

Premature end of script headers: index.php

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello goldeneye,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

First of all, I should admire you for doing all the ground work and narrowing it down to the cause of the problem. But can you please check into your PHP error log so that we can have a better idea of what is going on?

Arun Basil Lal

• goldeneye
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

steps to reproduce:

1) enable the plugin

2) click the link/visit the category link

http://www.mysite.net/category/some-cat/

3) get 500 error – screen shot attached

excerpt from apache error log:

[Thu Feb 23 07:53:01 2012] [error] [client 11.11.11.11] Premature end of script headers: index.php, referer: http://www.mysite.net/blog/

4) disable the plugin

5) click the link/visit the category link

http://www.mysite.net/category/some-cat/

6) works w/o error…

not seeing anything 'strange' in the other apache error logs such as: suexec.log, mysite.net_access_log, mysite.net_error_log, ssl_access_log, error_log….

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

Easy fix :slight_smile:

Go To WHM and look for PHP Configuration

memory_limit 3128M

max_execution_time 3140

max_input_time 3150

I run BlogLines.co.za like this and it works well :slight_smile: i would advice to setup the plug and then change the settings back to what they were :slight_smile:

thx

Mark

Ps i love rep point

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

Try to add this to wp-config.php

define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘3048M’:wink:;

It it still don’t work look for any err log and see what the problem is.

Not easy to spot a problem if you cant get to err logs

Ps if you have cpanel have a look in the to see if you cant pick up errs

Sorry for not being more help is there any way you can set the plug to 777

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Just checking in to see how things are going with this one and if you need any further help. :slight_smile:

I wanted to check on the error, and found these which might help you figure the server error out:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/solution-error-premature-end-script-headers-105245.html

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/how-debug-php-script-premature-end-script-headers-67713.html

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/premature-end-script-headers-index-php-error-500-a-138273.html

As we haven’t heard from you on this thread for a while, perhaps you got help over email. I’m going to presume your all fixed up now and don’t need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• ert
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I’m having this same problem, and I’m also on cloud sites, like wmarketing is.

With the plugin enabled, 1/4 of the time the site will go to a 500 error when saving a page or a menu.

I’ll also sometimes get this error: “Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.”

But when the infinite seo plugin is disabled the site works fine.

Here is what is in my PHP error log:

[10-Apr-2012 02:49:30] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-onpage/wds-onpage.php:64) in /wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 686

The same error is repeated [at the same timestamp] over and over, the only way they differ is that they mention these lines instead, and here is the order that they are in: 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 694, 695, 696, 697, 700, 701, 702, 669, 670, 671

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Everyone,

This 500 error is 99.9% sure is being caused by lack of php memory as Mark de Scande pointed out above with trying to get you folks to raise your define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘3048M’:wink:; or the way I deal with it was in the php.ini raising the allowable memory usable by php.

What Mark de Scande does not obviously have in mind since him and I both run on Dedicated Servers with oodles of resources, is the fact most are running on inexpensive hosting offering a whopping 64 MB of memory for php, and recently I have found that to be commonly 32 MB.

On top of that add php execution time. Most are set at around thirty seconds and Infinite SEO works building dynamic sitemaps eating up resources directly relative to the amount of things it needs to map.

Even with large sites Mark and I have no trouble as our 8 core 16GB Dedicated Servers eat right through the data. Even the best of VPS’s cannot even come close to touching our servers, similar in comparison of a Yugo against a Lamborghini.

So lets get to the brass tacks so to speak. I have attached a zipped phpinfo.php to this thread which you would want to download, unzip, and then upload the file to the root of your hosting server.

Next call it up in your browser like http://yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php and check the following items:

memory_limit

max_execution_time

On my server this is set to 512 MB’s and 240 seconds respectively, but most hosting packages short of medium end VPS’s do not even have that 512 MB of memory allocated to run the entire host.

In reality, Mark and I have more CPU cache then most have allocated php memory 12MB X 8 = 96 MB’s

I do not know where it is located on the WPMU Dev site and of course many other places, but hosting is actually the most important aspect to the performance and workability of your web site no matter what platform it runs on.

I am looking forward to your posts of memory_limit, max_execution_time, and number of posts and pages this plugin is supposed to go through for comparison purposes and to see if we can come up with some actual figures to relate to errors and malfunctions. Possibly even make a chart.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Everyone,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn’t resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.