Infinite SEO Meta Optimization Breaking

When viewing the Meta tag for a single post, the following meta is shown:
meta name="description" content="[/caption] Actual story exerpt..."

The caption tag is actually from the post content, which is for image caption on the image within a post.

Is there a way this could be included in the next update to parse out the closing caption tag?

Thanks you,

Mysendoff.com

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings mysendoff,

Thank you for this great question and bringing this significant issue to our attention.

I will certainly bring this issue to the attention of the lead developer asap and hopefully with the next release this is indeed parsed out as indicated.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

@Timothy, you don't close a topic that hasn't been resolved.

@aecnu Infinite SEO as my topic states clearly, so what is the result? I haven't heard anything back on the issue.

Please don't mark a topic resolved till it is resolved, then it doesn't get looked into.

Thank you,

mysendoff

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

I do when there is no activity on the thread, it's general house keeping. Joe asked for clarification 4 days ago, with no response we are not to know if you resolved it separately.

And as I clearly wrote in my post:

If you need any further help then please feel free to reopen the thread or create a new one as needed.

When opening a support thread in plugins you can select the plugin you refer to, otherwise with there being so many plugins around, some with similar names we can never be sure.

That will also avoid delays where you are asked a question about which plugin a thread refers to.

Take care.

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

I believe my question was done on a Friday, and I just returned back to work today. Civic holiday was on the Monday. So it was a nice long weekend.

I thought I did select the Infinite SEO plugin as shown, it was a busy day, I may of thought I did, my apologies.

Is there a way to move the posting to the proper plugin?

May I please have some idea when the issue will be resolved?

Thank you,

mysendoff

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

@Timothy the way the meta tag works is that it grabs the excerpt of the post, however somehow it is grabbing the caption of the photo in the post as well.

go to our website mysendoff.com and view a post and you will see the issue live.

Thank you for taking the time to look into the issue,

mysendoff

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

I believe my question was done on a Friday, and I just returned back to work today. Civic holiday was on the Monday. So it was a nice long weekend.

And I hope you had a great weekend. :slight_smile:

So this issue looking at your site:

https://mysendoff.com/category/funeral-options/funeral-products/

I see its pulling the first paragraph of your post and not an excerpt, the first line of that post would be the image you have.

So the description takes in order:

Description - Set in Infinite SEO meta box
    Except.
    Post Body.

If you fill in the excerpt or the SEO meta box you should be fine.

I will of course revert this to our developer to see if he has any plans for filtering shortcodes.

Take care.

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

You will see the following.
    <meta name="description" content="[/caption] Death tends to be a some what taboo subject for most, having to face their mortality makes people a bit uneasy. Despite this discomfort de..." />

The Meta description is not set in the 'quick edit' of the post, I shouldn't have to go through all 2000+ posts to fix [/caption]. Like I mentioned at the opening of this thread, it is how Infinite SEO grabbed and made the excerpt, it is including the photo caption from the photo in the post.

The Meta description in the quick edit of the post, is if you don't want to use WordPress's excerpt, and want to customize your own. Which is a good feature too, especially if you don't want the first sentence to be the excerpt.

Try making a post, with a photo with a caption in it, and you will see Wordpress using the square brackets for the image placeholder within the post.

Thanks,

mysendoff

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

So the description takes in order:

Except.
    Post Body.

If you fill in the excerpt or the SEO meta box you should be fine.

@Timothy I appreciate your effort.

I'm just saying the advice of going and setting the Meta description of all 2000+ posts isn't a solution. Especially if a dev can easily apply a quick string parsing of [/caption] to his/her code.

This is a more preferred method, then it works right when a user plugs it in. Or instead of calling post body, try Wordpress's the_excerpt() functionality?

The problem with calling a post body, is that the dev will have to do alot of parsing including htmltags, and plugin shorttags that he/she won't be able possibly catch all of them.

Thank you for your time,

mysendoff

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

Also I should mention:

In Step 3 under POST, I am using excerpt:

Post Title: %%title%% | %%sitename%%

Post Description: %%excerpt%%

Also the function that decides what happens here is located in \wds-files\wds-core\wds-core.php line 132?

function wds_get_trimmed_excerpt ($excerpt, $contents) {
    	$string = $excerpt ? $excerpt : $contents;
    	$string = trim(preg_replace('/\r|\n/', ' ', strip_shortcodes(htmlspecialchars(wp_strip_all_tags($string), ENT_QUOTES))));
    	return (preg_match('/.{156,}/um', $string))
    		? preg_replace('/(.{0,152}).*/um', '$1', $string) . '...'
    		: $string
    	;
    }

I believe that's where the issue is.

Thank you,

mysendoff

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

It pulls the excerpt. Or as shown in this order:

Except.
    Post Body.

Anyway as I said:

I will of course revert this to our developer to see if he has any plans for filtering shortcodes.

When reverting to a developer they will look into it.

Thanks.

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

I'm going to try %%excerpt_only%% and see if that solve my issue for now.

Using %%excerpt_only%% seems to of ignored all the issues, I guess it was grabbing post content first.

'%%excerpt%%' uses both the post excerpt and the content.

'%%excerpt_only%%' uses only the post excerpt created by wordpress.

Hopefully that helps you with answering questions as well.

Thank you,

mysendoff

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.