Infinite SEO Sitmap not accepted by Google Webmaster Tools

I set up the Infinite SEO plugin for the purpose of using the sitemap functionality. I originally used the simple sitemap plugin, but I kept getting an error when submitting the sitemap to google webmaster tools, the error was:

“Your Sitemap appears to be an HTML page. Please use a supported sitemap format instead.”

So I tried Infitite SEO, and I am still getting the same error. The sitemaps for my sub-sites seem to be accepted OK, but the sitemap for the main website is not, it consistantly says:

“Your Sitemap appears to be an HTML page. Please use a supported sitemap format instead.”

What can I do?

Thanks,

-Chase

• wishlist
    • Flash Drive

Hi Patrick, Thanks for the reply.

I have the plugin set up as network-activated.

But what is the site verification code? I don’t see an option for that.

I have already verified my site with Google through their webmaster tools if thats what you mean?

• wishlist
    • Flash Drive

Hey there,

I ended up having to resolve this myself. I manually created the sitemap for my main site, and allowed the plugin to create them for the sub-sites. The reason it was happening is because google was picking up on the fact that the sitemap.xml was being redirected to sitemap.php. Google is seeing that as an HTML file, and won’t accept it.

Hope you guys can get that figured out soon

Thanks

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Infinite SEO uses and recognizes the /sitemap.xml (or /sitemap.xml.gz) endpoint. It doesn’t redirect to sitemap.php, as it doesn’t even know about that endpoint. Is it possible that there is some sort of remnant from another plugin still active on your site? Possibly in your .htaccess file, if nothing else.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.