Info on creating the extra BP pages in a theme

I've decided to spend the day having a go at creating a theme that does exactly what I want.

I kind of get creating the general pages for a theme, but is there anywhere that I can find out about the extra code required for the BP pages?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@WP3: Start with the default BuddyPress theme you will find under plugins/buddypress/bp-themes/

Copy those files, rename the style.css and the folder and give it a whirl is my best advice. The majority of the hard work is done for you and you can then learn the theme.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

Thanks, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Don't worry, I'm not expecting to come up with something as good as Social in a single day :o) I think the best way to understand your themes, is to learn to design them myselef, then I don't have to ask some of the more obvious questions.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@WP3: I love it when people get active in theme design so big thumbs up to you giving it a go. Have you tried using our Colours theme for BuddyPress and using the child themeing for that? My biggest advice is never edit the core BuddyPress files always use CSS for those as otherwise in a BuddyPress update you may end up crying :slight_smile:

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I think I'll take a look at that, see how you did it, then figure it out from there. The child themes are the best way to go, I just have to make myself use them :o/

I always get these bright ideas and end up wondering why, but it's worth having a go.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.