Initial copy of a subsite and then pushing changes with Cloner

Hey Folks,

Ok, with Cloner we can make a exact copy of a subsite. But, when changes are made on the cloned site (call it the staging site), how can we ensure when pushing the changes of the staging site to the live production will only update the changes and not delete import pieces on the live production site between the time the staging site was created and changes on the live site itself (i.e. new users who have registered, comments, and live site changes at all)?

Please let us know exact steps to be triple sure of this.

Thanks.

Rupok

Hi Greg

Hope you had a wonderful day.

when changes are made on the cloned site (call it the staging site), how can we ensure when pushing the changes of the staging site to the live production will only update the changes

It totally depends on what changes you have done to your staging site and how you are pushing the changes to the live production. For example, if you have just added some posts in staging site, you can use WordPress Import/Export tool for pushing those in the live server, nothing will be lost. For most native data posts, pages, users etc. this tool works like a charm.

Again, if you changed CSS in stylesheet, then you just need to upload the new stylesheet file in live site.

So can you be more detailed about your changes? I could guide you better then.

Have a nice day. Cheers!

Greg

Rupok

Well, it could be a ton of different changes. I just would like to see the best way to push any changes live from staging via the Cloner plugin. For example, theme changes, plugin add ons, settings changes in plugins, css changes, or any design, funcionality, plugin etc changes.

If it works good then I would be doing all kinds of changes on multiple sites all the time (so I do not have anything in mind in particular at the present time). I just want to be sure when changes are pushed out it "merges" with current content on the live site and does not wipe it and only show what was on the staging between pushes.

Does that help more on perspective of what I am looking for?

Greg

Rupok

Thanks for touching back . . .

On the Cloner plugin site, there is this http://screencast.com/t/0HheFnyq64
    and this http://screencast.com/t/Ugd7pzAcSR

If that is truly the case, then how can Cloner really be called to the task of being a place to "stage" and rollout changes only to live production site? If it overwrights every time and wipes out everything on the live site, that would not really be staging at all (but just cloning only or backup only but not staging).

Can you have someone look deeper into this because there may be some nuance we are both not seeing? Otherwise, the Cloner plugin would not be presented as a staging solution at all but just a cloner or backup solution only.

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Greg,

Cloner has settings - in Network go to Settings -> Cloner. There you can choose what should be copied.

so you can select only options you want to copy. So you can uncheck users, posts, pages and comments - and they will stay and will not be override by staging site. To be sure I made own test - and users, pages and posts stayed intact but other things like WooCommerce and products were copied.
    So it can used to move changes from staging site - you have to choose in settings what should and what should be not copied.

I'm sorry for confusion - we usually test this with all settings ticked and this actually replace whole subsite.

kind regards,
    Kasia