Initial Setup Best theme for Pro Sites

What is best way to get site to look and function like Edublogs or WordPress.com for example?
What theme is best to achieve that?
Is there recommended theme that works with Pro sites or a good tutorial on this?

How do we display information? shortcodes?

Thank you.

Nithin

Hi Jason Bishop,

Hope you are doing good today.

Pro sites should work fine in any WordPress theme, and also in Upfront. However, in order to achieve something similar like wordpress.com, it'll include custom CSS to achieve the desired design.

You can check the New Blog templates plugins, which should give you the features like wordpress.com, and Edublogs, ie users can select what theme they want while registering for a website. For more information please check the plugin usage guide:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/#product-usage

Is there recommended theme that works with Pro sites or a good tutorial on this?

As mentioned above, the plugin should work out of the box in most of the WordPress themes. If you are using Upfront, it'll require custom CSS to style the plugin on how it's displayed. At the moment, I'm afraid there isn't any in depth tutorial, you can check the plugin usage section, on how to setup the plugin:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#product-usage

You might find this article helpful:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/pro-sites-premium-upgrades/

How do we display information? shortcodes?

It should work out of the box once you install the plugin. There isn't any shortcode available in the plugin. Once the plugin is installed, you can go to Pro Sites > Settings, and save the necessary settings. The plugin create a new virtual page /pro-site, where you can access all the Pro site levels that you have created via Pro Sites > Levels in your dashboard.

I hope this should help you get started. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance, we would be glad to guide you further. Have a nice weekend ahead.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

Jason Bishop

Thank you for great and impressive support, that was very helpful.

I have few more questions if you can point me into right direction.
    Last time I dealt with MU install was many years ago and a lot has changed.

I was trying to get SiteOrigin SitePack installed but it's not supported in MU install.
    Are you familiar with their site packs and is it possible to use it?

Obviously site ID 1 is the main site of the install.
    That is what I'm focusing now to get setup.

I saw where you can enable themes just for specific site.
    Is there a way to enable certain plugins to be used only by the main site?

I didn't look in the plugin code but is it possible to override Pro Sites display of Pricing tables?
    Is it templating system?

Thanks again.

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jason,

I didn't look in the plugin code but is it possible to override Pro Sites display of Pricing tables?
    Is it templating system?

At the moment - there is no possibility to change HTML of the pricing tables without rewriting plugin code.
    But good news is that it should be possible to use own pricing tables from next version as there is new feature there that will allow for that. I can't give exact ETA when it will be released but it should not be long now.

I was trying to get SiteOrigin SitePack installed but it's not supported in MU install.
    Are you familiar with their site packs and is it possible to use it?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this pack - but have you tried enabling it on your main site? Maybe it does not support Network mode, but will work enabled per blog?

kind regards,
    Kasia

Jason Bishop

Ok,
    I think that would be great and required feature, it is important to be able to change and control elements in pricing tables, there is only so much you can do with CSS.
    As well as being able to separate sections and display them in form of shortcode or function on other pages.
    Can't wait for new release.

Is there a way to create a link and pass variable like ?levelID= or similar that would take to a register page with that level selected?

I think SO site packs don't support Network mode.

Thank you.

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jason,

Is there a way to create a link and pass variable like ?levelID= or similar that would take to a register page with that level selected?

No, this is not possible at the moment, sorry - all calls are done with POST and Ajax and there is no parameters in URL that would allow for that.

Hopefully it will be introduces with features in new version that I mentioned before.

kind regards,
    Kasia