Install Error Showcase Theme

I did this:

1) put just the showcase theme into the themes folder because I did not read the instructions
2) the theme was broken
3) read the instructions
3.1) https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/showcase-theme/installation/
4) also uploaded the child theme
5) got this error upon activating the theme a second time
5.1) Fatal error: Unsupported operand types in /home/mayyue/taoofyouth.com/wp-admin/themes.php on line 83

I'm running the latest WP, not WPMU.

Also, the site is at http://www.taoofyouth.atsis.com/ and is a pre-install waiting to be delivered at taoofyouth.com, so it's mirrored. Other themes are working fine, but is it: the mirror, my install procedure, or something else that is keeping the theme from displaying properly? I'll reupload just to see if that fixes things.

Best,
Dainis

• dainis

yeah still gettin' the error...and I see this in the dashboard:

Broken Themes

The following themes are installed but incomplete. Themes must have a stylesheet and a template.
    Name Description
    Showcase Child The parent theme is missing. Please install the "Showcase" parent theme.

I see that I'm supposed to activate the child theme and not the parent theme now, but the child theme does not appear in my theme list.

How do I get this theme going?

• dainis

then i don't know what's going wrong. fresh WP install, no plugins, other themes seem to be working when i try them. just showcase winds up with an error. i'll go ahead and enable showcase so you can see.

the helpsheets ask me to check if i'm using the right WP, BuddyPress WPMU version for "my" theme...where can I check that. For example, I do not have WPMU installed, rather just WP.

For now, some of my sites don't need to be communities, so they are not BuddyPress installs. Some are BuddyPress sites.

What could be going on and what next steps do you recommend?

Best,
    Dainis

• dainis

also, even though i did upload the child theme...the only theme i see in my theme list is showcase...and not the child theme...is that odd or to be expected?

Here's the error again:
    Fatal error: Unsupported operand types in /home/mayyue/taoofyouth.com/wp-admin/themes.php on line 83

I may want to switch to a theme that could eventually support BuddyPress for this particular site, but it'd be nice to figure out what's going on so I can use these themes for other sites as well...

• dainis

Here is my procedure:

1) create OnlineDomain.atsis.com sub domain on dreamhost PS
    2) create OnlineDomain.com as a domain
    3) Mirror OnlineDomain.atsis.com to OnlineDomain.com
    4) Install L8est WP 3.0.1 using DH's one click install
    4.1) Turn off auto update of WP
    5) Edit wp-config.php like this:

// define('DB_HOST', 'mysql.OnlineDomain.com');     // ...and the server MySQL is running on<br />
    define('DB_HOST', 'mysql.CurrentDomain.com');

so that when OnlineDomain.com is ready to go live, i can just change that one line of code and flip the DNS over to my Dreamhost PS

6) Upload placeholder content
    7) Experiment with themes
    7.1) "Other" themes seem to work. The themes I've tried from wpmudev seem to not work when I get to this step.

Note: That means I don't have BuddyPress installed (yet), I also am not running WPMU (and would kinda rather not, I think...)

Regarding the operand types...that post is 3 years old...does that mean no one has used Showcase for 3 years? It can't mean that. Or? Does it mean that this error is just there and it hasn't been repaired?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Themes Support Live Chat on Wed and will be there for sure!

Also, I'm "willing" to enable BuddyPress to "make" these themes work, if that's what's necessary, however, then I'd need to go through the process of "hiding" the activity stream and certain other features, which is actually fine, because most likely my client sites will move in the direction of becoming communities anyway.

Next, I am "willing" to run WPMU, but again, I at least "feel" more comfortable with just WP, cuz I want to reduce the tech load on my brain as much as possible...or at least know that I have lighting fast support on tech hurdles.

Thank you for your friendly replies...how do you suggest I move forward?

• Tammie

@dainis: If you follow our pdf's and have everything set up as normal on WordPress our themes work. I have no experience with L8est so not sure what or why you are even using that. However if WordPress works and you have followed our install PDF's then our themes will work. Aside from that it will be something to do with your hosting. Showcase is only a few months old haven't a clue what you are referring to with that. I think you need to seperate your set up from our themes as all our themes work I think there is some issue with your set up and you need to start a new thread for that rather than one per theme. We can only say to each the theme works for us but if you do one post about your set up then people can advise the issue. Please though in that confirm you have followed our panic and install pdfs.

• dainis

what i mean by L8est is "latest." It's the latest WP software.

However if WordPress works and you have followed our install PDF's then our themes will work.

That's not what's happening on my end

Aside from that it will be something to do with your hosting.

I've contacted my host and even purchased support from them on this issue. They are pointing to you guys to support your theme.

I think you need to seperate your set up from our themes as all our themes work I think there is some issue with your set up and you need to start a new thread for that rather than one per theme.

ok, can we resolve it for this theme here? if it turns out to be a Dreamhost issue, then I can create a setup thread. i don't know yet if it's my set up or if it's the theme of if it's just a little glitch somewhere...can we take care of this issue with this theme here before we assume it's my setup?

We can only say to each the theme works for us but if you do one post about your set up then people can advise the issue.

My "set up" also changes per site and per desired theme, which is why this thread could very well be resolved here. Can we start doing the support?

Please though in that confirm you have followed our panic and install pdfs.

Yes, I've gone through those docs, but I don't know how to "check if your theme is appropriate for WPMU, etc." I mean, if Showcase is supposed to work for WP, then it's not working, and that's what this thread is about.

Can we resolve the issue? My set up for this site is here. All the info that I can see as applicable is here. I just purchased additional support from my host, so if you have specific questions for my host, i can ask them...however, i just took a pretty big financial dive with WPMU Dev and the support package from my host and the other costs I've just amassed, so I'd really like the help I need to have these themes easily "installable" for me.

Can you help me? If you want me to create another thread, I'd just copy this thread...I mean, I'll do it...please advise...

• Tammie

@Dainis: This sort of proves my point we need one post not fragmented ones it's horrible to try and support you so fragmented so lets get one focused spot. We are more than happy to help and will just yes create one as it's something in your case not our themes. Does this mean we won't help - not at all we don't work like that. Nobody is saying we will not support you but this method you persist in doing with several threads won't get you the best support it's confusing for all so lets get one post and deal with everything relating to themes not working in that. You state not just showcase you have stated several themes hence my review of your install.

We do not ever say we won't support this is about getting you the best support so lets not dive into assumptions there and get this done.

• dainis

I'd like to resolve the tech issue. Now we have an additional thread here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/errors-upon-activating-wpmu-dev-themes-on-dreamhost-ps and we are dealing with two topics within it.

If you're having trouble helping people with their forum posts, or if the process is frustrating, it's possible that a different approach may get you better results. I can certainly help with that...if you're open to it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.