Install Process

I’m making plans to have my host set up a new account for a multisite install. I would like to use Pro Sites and Membership. I have watched the walk through for Pro Sites. I need to be able to give my host instructions about the install. I have read http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network. Do you have recommendations as to the type of install (sub-domain or sub-directory, whether or not to allow end users to create new sites on demand) and instructions to give them prior to me getting it?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @rjolley

My first recommendation in situations like this is: don’t let your host set up your WordPress install if they use an install script like Fantastico. These kinds of “one-click” install scripts invariably create headaches down the road that are sometimes a real PITA to deal with.

Apart from that, deciding whether go for sub-directories or sub-domains depends largely on URL aesthetics, and maybe a bit of SEO (but that point is open to debate). While sub-directories allow your domain name to take prominence in the URL, sub-domains allows the end-user’s chosen site name to more prominent.

However, if you also intend on allowing your users the option of mapping their sub-site to their own domain with Domain Mapping, then you should ensure that you have a dedicated IP, not shared hosting.

Allowing users to create new sites on demand depends largely on your business model. If your intention is to draw in users with the offer of free sites with paid upgrades, then yes. If you want more control over who creates sites, and what type of sites they are, then a paid-only scenario might be better for you.

For that, Membership has a coupon system whereby only users who input the correct coupon code may register an account on your site. The code(s) that you define can be emailed to prospective members after they send you a join request via email (any contact form plugin can serve for that purpose).

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• rjolley
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Patrick,

I would like to offer free sites, and I would like to have the name of the site show up in the browser when you went to one of those sites. Does that mean I want sub-domain or sub-directory?

Where would I learn about or get help for doing the install myself?

• rjolley
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Today when I attempted to activate Pro Sites I got:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function switch_to_blog() in /home/cp30112/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites.php on line 196

This is a fresh install of WordPress with only BackUpBuddy running.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@rjolley

Call to undefined function switch_to_blog()

That error is because Pro Sites requires multisite. You need to set that up first.

I would like to offer free sites, and I would like to have the name of the site show up in the browser when you went to one of those sites. Does that mean I want sub-domain or sub-directory?

Either is OK. Sub-domain looks like this:

subsite.mainsite.com/page

Sub-directory looks like this:

mainsite.com/subsite/page

If you want users to be able to redirect to a domain they own, then you use Domain Mapping.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.