Installation

Hi guys,
Im a serious n00b at this, and your description of how to install the theme for Blogs MU here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-blogsmu-theme/ is just confusing as anything to me. Is there a video tutorial I can go through? or a description thats in...um...basic talk? haha, thanks in advance!

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi there, DC, and welcome to the WPMUdev Support Community!

Look, the instructions are not really that hard. Just be sure not to cross the green wire with the black wire. You do that and you whole site will go kabloowie, which is a technical term for 'not good.' So just follow the directions and don't cross the green wire with the black, or wait, was it the red wire?

You know you can just install this theme like you would any other theme by just going to Add New under themes. The will install the parent theme into your themes folder. But the thing is, if you do any customization to the theme, it will be written over when the theme is next updated.

For this reason, and I believe this might be the part that is somewhat confusing, you need to install and use the child theme. The child theme is actually embedded into the parent theme in a folder called themes. The easiest way to see these folders is to use an FTP program like Filezilla, which is freeware for PC. Alternatively, you could use the File Editor of your cPanel.

Locate the blogs-mu-child folder which on my server is at:

/wp-content/themes/blogs-mu/themes/

Download this whole blogs-mu-child folder and then upload the folder in the correct location, which is the themes folder with the rest of your themes, as in:

/wp-content/themes/

When your finished the parent and child theme will both be in the same folder. Activate the child theme, not the parent.

Cheers,
    Paul