Installations: themes are ok, but plugins do show [obscure] errors

Hello Team,

Whenever I install a theme from WPMU DEV Dashboard, all runs fine.

However, plugin installations do display an error related to folder permissions. I can assure you this is not the problem (the server is self managed).

I have tried even a LogLevel debug in my Apache to backtrace and nothing interesting appears in Apache error log while I do try a plugin installation.

Can you please update the Dashboard, including a verbose output (or log) of what is being done during the plugin installation (like "doing this > ok > now doing this > ok > and now doing this > oops, failed!") so we can detect where the issue is?

I have found various other threads with the same issue. I expect the verbose output help us resolve this in a definitive manner.

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Renato,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I understand that you already took care of folder permissions. However, could you please tell what are current permissions that you set? Usually 0755 works well but if not, it may be good to change to 0777 for a moment just to test if this makes any difference.

Also, you mentioned that you've already checked Apache logs but have you also checked standard WP debug log?

It would be great if you could add following lines to your "wp-config.php" file and then try updating plugins again and once this is done, share content of "/wp-content/debug.log" file with me.

define("WP_DEBUG", true);
    define("WP_DEBUG_LOG", true);

These lines should be placed inside "wp-config.php" file of your install, right above the "/* That's all, stop editing...." line.

Can you please update the Dashboard, including a verbose output (or log) of what is being done during the plugin installation

I'm not sure if I'm following you on this one. Would you like me to provide you with some sort of "step by step" guide, an outline of what exactly the plugin is doing or are you asking about a "plugin-specific" debugging? Please advise!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Renato

Hello, Adam

All directories on my installation are either 750 or 755. There's no need for 770 or 777 on then, because all services are running as the same user of files owner.

Yes, of course I have checked WP debug log. I mentioned Apache's LogLevel debug because it's used for more deep investigation than WP own's debug (I said even Apache's LogLevel debug didn't provide any useful information) :wink:

Complimentary information:

>> When I access xxxxx.com/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=wpmudev-plugins

- PHP's error log:

nothing

- debug.log:

nothing

- apache's error log (normal level):

[Sun Feb 28 03:04:56.993980 2016] [core:error] [pid 1304:tid 140704286217984] [client XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XXXXX] AH00124: Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace., referer: http://xxxxx.com/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=wpmudev-plugins
    [Sun Feb 28 03:04:57.487071 2016] [core:error] [pid 1766:tid 140704252647168] [client XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XXXXX] AH00124: Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace., referer: http://xxxxx.com/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=wpmudev-plugins

- apache's error log (debug level):

The same as above + the backtrace of what caused the error.

I found these errors to be caused by my theme's calling Jetpack's wp_enqueue_media() function on all Network Dashboard pages (and, consequently, registering and enqueueing a file from WP.com - that do not exists on my install, of course) and I have now reported it here: https://github.com/Automattic/jetpack/issues/3468

This was causing the error related to files permissions to be displayed whenever I try a plugin install through WPMU DEV Dashboard (although, mostly of plugins, seems to be successfully installed - I do see them as installed after clicking 'Ok' in the message dialog and refreshing the page).

After changing the theme on my main network website, this error do not happens when I load Network Dashboard pages any more and the plugins are now installed through WPMU DEV Dashboard normally (no error is displayed - I do see the success message instead, as expected).

Although it's resolved for me now, I still want WPMU DEV Dashboard to be improved in regards to this. So, to make my request more clear:

With the problematic theme active (the one that cause some logs to be generated on Apache), downloading any WPMU DEV plugin from yours website and installing it through WP's standard plugin installer, it worked flawlessly. Installing a theme from WPMU DEV Dashboard, also worked flawlessly. So why the plugin installation complaints about folder permissions (although, most times, the plugin seems to be installed normally, despite the error being displayed)? As it has been proved now, the problems were NOT folder permissions.

What I am requesting is you do include on WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin some 'checkpoints' on the code, that write "I am at stage 1", "I am at stage 2", and so on to the debug.log file, as each step is ran while installing a plugin through the WPMU DEV Dashboard. This way, we can see which stages steps ran fine, which failed, and then check on your plugin code where it is hanging so we can more easier identify what the problem is.

And now, a 2nd request, is you do review why the error related to folder's permissions is displayed at all, under some specific circumstances (where an Apache Error happens, more specifically), if the issue is not with permissions - and should not cause any interference in the plugins installations?

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.