Installing Dashboard Results In 500 Internal Server Error

I'm trying to install the Dashboard onto a new (for me) site but whenever I try to upload it (ver. 4.2.1) I get a 500 Internal Server Error. I uninstalled all the plugins so there's not much chance of conflict, but I'm still getting the error. What else can I try from the admin panel? I don't have access to the server itself.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lorie,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "500 Internal Server Error" in case of WordPress is often caused by insufficient memory limit. Try adding a following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Make sure that this line is placed above the "/* That's all, stop editing... */" line and then try installing plugin again.

Let me know please if that solved the problem or if further troubleshooting would be necessary.

Best regards,

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lorie!

In case like this what I suggested is the most essential step that usually solves the issue. In case it didn't help, I would need to investigate it further and that means that I would most likely need to ask you for access to the server anyway.

You mentioned that you don't have access to the server to be able to edit wp-config.php file. Maybe you cold ask somebody who's "in charge" of the server to do it for you?

If that's not possible, you could for now try other way:

- disable all the plugins in site's dashboard
    - then enable WP DEV Dashboard and see if it works and if yes start enabling other plugins back.

I suppose that at some point during enabling these other plugins site may go down again unfortunately with the very same error but it's worth giving a try. Sometimes enabling plugins "in different order" surprisingly helps too :slight_smile:

Best regards,