Installing Defender Hummingbird and Smush on multisite

Hello
I have had some troubles cloning my main sites woocommerce settings which has successfully been addressed by Sajid, see following thread.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/using-cloner-woocommerce-product-categories-and-product-listing-gone?replies=13#post-1163579

Since we now have to remove all old subsites and in a way start from new with main site in the way described in above ticket we want to take advantage of this to address both security and trimming of main site before we start sub-site setups again. We have following three questions about making adjustments to main site and the possible negative effects any of them could have on a multisite setup/future subsites, our primary concerns are with Defender since security plugins seem to mess things up sometimes.
1. We would assume it will be safe to allow SmushPro to BulkSmush all images?
2. Hummingbird has returned advice as you can see in attached screenshot, would it be advisable to let Hummingbird do these adjustments?
3. Defender suggests the following 5 adjustments, see screenshot also. Which ones of these Defender suggestions are completely safe to follow? That could not mess things up for us in a multisite environment?
1. Change default database prefix
2. Disable the file editor
3. Disable trackbacks and pingbacks
4. Prevent information disclosure
5. Prevent PHP execution
Thank you in advance

• Rupok

Hi Roger Haden,

Thanks for asking. Let me answer those one by one:

We would assume it will be safe to allow SmushPro to BulkSmush all images?

I've run Bulk Smush on many of my test sites but I didn't face any issue with that. But if you have thousands of images on your server, then it might take longer than usual to finish the process. In my understanding, Smush has no chance to break your site in any way. It just sends file from your server to our server for smushing, and then puts back the optimized version of those images. That's it.

Hummingbird has returned advice as you can see in attached screenshot, would it be advisable to let Hummingbird do these adjustments?

Well, in this step, I'll ask you to take a full backup of your site first and then try this. Because at first, Hummingbird includes all your CSS and JS files for compression and minification and try to put all in the header to make your site faster. Now different sites use different plugins and themes. Those plugins and themes may need some specific assets to be kept in the footer. So when Hummingbird will call them to header, your site design or some functionality might break at first. But if you keep excluding your site assets one by one from minification and compresstion, you will find out at which point, your site design is not breaking anymore. And you will know which file should not be included in minification and compression. You can also find out which file to put in header and which in footer by this Trial and Error method. As different sites use different plugins and themes, so there is no way to tell which settings will work best on which site. I'm afraid, you will have to find it out by testing. That's why I asked you to take a full backup first so you can always revert back to current state if anything goes wrong.

Which ones of these Defender suggestions are completely safe to follow? That could not mess things up for us in a multisite environment?

In a normal standard WordPress installation, all these five steps are safe to follow. Now if any of your plugins/themes conflict with any settings, that's an exceptional issue and we can't really tell you that none of your plugins/themes will have any conflict. But I believe, all these five will go fine. I'd really warn you if there were anything you should be aware of. As as I suggested above, a full backup will be your life saver.

With a complete backup of your site, I believe you can go for all of these and in my understanding, all should work absolutely fine. If anything goes wrong, you have your backup to restore and you have us to provide support until you get your issue resolved.

Please let us know how these goes. If you have any confusion or if you are stuck at any point, please let us know. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok