Installing membership2 (replacement to membership'1') on localhost

Hi there,
I'm trying to 'upgrade' to membership2 / install membership2 on localhost (to test before upgrading main site) but I'm getting errors on attempting to download; WPMU DEV is flagging this as a permissions error, but all other updates to plugins succeed fine (via WP plugins management).
Two questions I guess:
1- how to resolve this installation error?
2- how will this affect my existing users data?

Thanks,
Mike

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mike,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Since you are trying that on you localhost, I assume that you are able to set up another copy of the site locally in case anything went wrong, is that right?

If yes, please try following way:

1. Download the Membership 2 Pro from this link:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/download/563105725_membership2-1.0.0.zip

It's the very first release of "2" version so it'll be outdated "out of the box" but let's start with that.

2. In your site's dashboard go to "Plugins -> All plugins" and disable (but not delete) your Membership Premium plugin

3. remove Membership Premium plugin folder from "/wp-content/plugins" folder

4. extract downloaded .zip file and put the "membership" folder from inside it into the "/wp-content/plugins" folder

5. go back to "Plugins -> All plugins" page and enable the Membership 2 Pro plugin

At this point plugin should be enabled (make sure that WPMU DEV Dashboard is active too) and you should be asked to go through upgrade "wizard" so proceed with it. If it goes as expected you should now be using Membership 2 Pro.

In case there was no memberships/members available after that procedure, simply go to "Membership 2 -> memberships" page and create a simple standard membership and after that all other memberships and members should come back; then you can remove that membership.

If that worked, try updating the plugin a standard way.

Let me know how it worked for you please (make sure please that you are trying that on a dev/staging site that you can easily bring back in case anything went wrong).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• mike

Hi Adam,
    Soooo... managed to install the plugin with those instructions. It wouldn't display any memberships though, and / or any data from my previous install; it showed some of my users, but not all.
    I've since updated it (to see if that fixed the issue), but now no users show up within the plugin at all - this issue was actually what prompted me to upgrade (the previous plugin stopped displaying any user memberships).
    This is all being done on a local test site, and I've got backups of the original db and site files.
    So now I've got the plugin installed, but no user data, should I:
    1- Start again, and try installing the plugin differently?
    2- Is there a way to transfer my previous Membership data & settings into the new plugin?

Thanks for your help,
    Mike

• Jessica

Hi sorry to interject here this is none of my business, but as I was reading, thought maybe I could help out until your help replies...he was saying earlier that this might happen, that all your memberships/user data might disappear, and in order to see them again, just create a new membership plan and then once your data is back just remove it...

As he states...

"In case there was no memberships/members available after that procedure, simply go to "Membership 2 -> memberships" page and create a simple standard membership and after that all other memberships and members should come back; then you can remove that membership."

I'm sure he will be back soon to continue to help you out. Hope my interjection helps you save the time to wait for his reply. Good luck with your projects...

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mike, hey Jessica!

Jessica, thanks for help. Actually that step was often the one that solved the issues so it's great that you stressed that out

Mike, just to make sure: once you went through the steps 1-5 from my previous post were you prompted to run an "import" procedure and did you run it (as a first thing after enabling the plugin)?

Moving data from database manually will not help much because these plugin store membership information in a quite different way so we need to find a way to make it update automatically as it had been done back in the past when first Membership 2 Pro release was published

That said, could you please try an additional step? Still on the same site, in current state, go to the "Membership 2 -> Settings -> Import" page and there should be an option to import data from a file and from "Membership" - try the "Membership" import option please and let me know if that worked for you.

Best regards,
    Adam