Installing Multi-DB and running move-blogs.php, only global db shows up

I'm installing Multi-DB and I've followed the instructions and have got to the point where it's time to run the move-blogs.php script. When I do, the "new db" column shows the same thing for every line, the global database.

All the databases have been created and I can see that they exist, but on this page it appears nothing will be moved into them, only to global.

I don't have a lot of sites set up yet, but a few, so I would think some of them would be going to global. I haven't clicked the link to start the copy process yet. I wanted to get some advice first.

Thanks,
Todd

• aecnu

Greetings Todd,

Thank you for this great question and input.

Go for it and let me know if you get hung up, if you followed the instructions things should work out fine.

Make a back up of your site and especially the database and then go for it.

Look for the green lines and do not panic or worry about all the warnings that come up - they are part of the process.

What to worry about is if you do not have all greens in the end and if so do not panic, just let me know.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Todd,

Thank you for the additional input, it is appreciated.

I checked out your other tickets you submitted today and considering our flow of tickets a two day or three day wait is not long - though I am not happy about the flow myself for reasons I shall not disclose.

However, this is going to take some digging into, obviously something is wrong and it is going to take both FTP and cPanel access to get to the bottom of why you are having a problem there.

Therefore you can submit the details to aecnu (at) incsub.com and I hope to be able to take a look at it tomorrow - I have already been working for nearly 14 hours so I would not attempt to try to hunt this down now.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Todd Heitner

I didn't mean to be complaining about the time. What I meant was that I wanted to add more details to update you on where things stood but I know that if I did, it would appear as a reply, which would push it farther down the queue. I've noticed other posts where people try to "bump" their post and that comments from the staff explain that it actually does the opposite effect and increases the wait. Since this is a time-sensitive issue (my site is completely down), I didn't want to reply in the same thread because my understanding is it would slow down the response.

I really appreciate your offer to help. I just sent you an e-mail with the details you should need.

Thanks!
    Todd

• Todd Heitner

I've contacted my host and they're trying to help me get to the bottom of it too.

One thing is kind of weird. When trying one setting, some of the errors are database connection errors and say it's unable to log in with the username and the username it lists is not the username entered in db-config. However, it's the first part of it. The username contains an underscore and what it lists there is the part appearing before the underscore (though it's also the same as the cpanel username so not sure if that could be a factor).

Any chance it's because there is an underscore in the username? Is it possible it needs to be escaped or something since an underscore can act as a wildcard character in MySQL?

Also, my host is asking if there are any specific server requirements or PHP extensions or anything else that needs to be installed for it to work.

Thanks,
    Todd

• Mark Wallace

Hi Todd

Your site looks Nice! If the host company you advertise HG is your hosting provider, then their server should be set up to use Multi-DB. We installed it on a test site before we took it off line.

One thing we found out, and i am wondering if it might be the same issue we had. The sub sites/blogs will not always show up in the database until a file/content is added.

We were confused because we had over 3200 Site/Blogs but less than half would show up, What you can do to test this is simple.

Find a site/blog that you know exist, but that does not show up in the database and upload a file to it. Something easy to find, like a image is what we used. The if that site/blog appears then you know everything is good to go!

The user names being cut before the underscore i have not dealt with before. I would see if you can create one of the names that got cut, and see if WP allows it to be made. Then check files.

I don't always explain myself well, and lack WP tech terms so if you don't understand something just ask. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

• aecnu

Greetings Todd Heitner,

As we discussed off forum and I worked hard to over come the database issue and it is truly bizarre.

As I have mentioned before I have helped people and set up dozens of these for folks and never had I failed or could not figure it out until now. I guess there truly is always a first time ... lol

There are no special server requirements that I am aware of and it even ran on my older 5.2.14 php servers. Actually though we are migrating to our new line of servers, there are still some running on the old server without issue.

Please keep me posted as to what happens here with the hosting and this bizarre database issue.

Cheers, Joe

• Todd Heitner

@MTB1701: This site is not hosted on HostGator. I was going to use them first but was running into a memory issue so I moved it.

It's strange that the error message is indicating a different username than what is configured in db-config.php, at least for some things. Rather than the username I entered, it's using the cpanel login name, at least that's what some of the error messages say. However, it has to be using the username I configured for some things because it did add data to the global database as well as one of the other new databases, but when I try visiting any of the existing sites, I get the "Error establishing connection to database" error.

My host said:

The code is not using the configured login. This is because your server uses suPHP and any access to MySQL without credential configuration would access the server as user <mycPaneluserID> without a password.

• Mark Wallace

I was going to use them first but was running into a memory issue so I moved it.

Totally agree! i Have a few unresolved memory issues there myself!

@aecnu

Is the resident server / database genius so you couldn't be in better hands, i didn't know you two work working behind the SCENE.

I thought Joe may have gotten distracted working on the "Salutations" theme. Its his favorite ya know! :stuck_out_tongue:

Best wishes Fella's

• aecnu

Greetings Todd and MTB1701,

@MTB1701 this is totally hilarious about the Salutations theme ... lol ... thank you for that :smiley:

@Todd Heitner and MTB1701 - the statement the host gave above in Todd's last post and I quote:

The code is not using the configured login. This is because your server uses suPHP and any access to MySQL without credential configuration would access the server as user <mycPaneluserID> without a password.

This is a total lie because I am running suPHP on all five servers and have no trouble whatsoever with MultiDB.

Screen shot of Apache configuration included below showing the truth which directly contradicts what they told about being configured for suPHP causing the issue.

In addition, just for fun I created a blog on a site I am developing using Multi DB just to prove that Multi DB is indeed working on suPHP and here is the link to the site (this is on my server ns5) http://testfortodd.onlineoutletshoppingcenter.com and a screen shot first of where it is in the global tables and it id #4 and then of where it was added in Multi DB below.

I took the time to disprove this because as everyone who knows me or reads enough of my threads know, I detest liars, frauds, and cheats which I believe is exactly what is happening in this post from the host.

Hey I am a poet and didn't even know it ... lol

Anyway that is the truth Gentlemen about everything except the poet sentence above.

Sincerely, Joe

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.