Installing the Theme on the multisite twice

Hi,

I just wanted to know if its possible to install a theme twice and have two child themes for them respectively.

Or

Install the theme once and have two child themes for it?

• Michelle Shull

Heya, CatMan!

Option 2 is your best bet there. Create two child themes of the same parent theme (with different names), rather than trying to install a theme twice, which wouldn't work out very well. A multisite only has one theme folder that's shared by all sites in the network, so it's not possible to install the same theme twice.

Creating two child themes is fine, however. Just make sure the child themes each have a unique name. Once they're created, you should be able to network/site-by-site activate them just like any other theme.

Hope this helps!

• Wharrf

Hi CatMan, I thought I would weigh in on this.

Having two child theme for a single theme, might not always be the best way, IF you are going to make some functionality changes to the parent theme. This is because if the parent theme is updated, there might be some amount of backward incompatibility that might break your child theme.

You might want to "install twice". In that case, what you need to do is the following:
    1. Rename the folder of the second parent theme to another name
    2. Change the theme name in style.css to something else.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.