Installing & using Host Monster video hosting on my WP site

Hello!

I've just purchased Host Monster, specifically to be able to host video on my site that is streaming only and accessible only by members. Though I told otherwise just before purchasing their services, I am not able to receive technical support from them for installing and utilizing host monster on my WP site.

Could you please help me with this?

Thank you!

• aecnu

Greetings mvanorshoven :slight_smile:

the easiest way I can think of to accomplish this is to have the video on Host Monster and use the "Status" Plugin to present those on your Membership Member Posts or Pages.

You may want to cloak the actual URL's too and depending on the sensitivity of the videos you may want to password protect them on the Host Monster Server and then include the User Name and Password in the cloaked URL pulled into your WP Membership Pages and Posts :slight_smile:

I hope this helps get you off to a good start :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Happy New Year to you too :slight_smile:

I am totally unfamiliar with VideoPress and could find no reference to it here on WPMU Dev.

Whether or not there is a cheaper or easier way - of course that it perspective :slight_smile: - not the cheaper but the easier.

I found that using the "Status" plugin here on WPMU Dev seems about as easy as it can get ..... lol

But your biggest hurdle right now is your WP version not being current or V3.3 as of this moment.

I know from past experience that WPMU Dev only supports the current version of WP and I do not blame them since they take the time to make all the plugins etc. compatible with the current version.

Most other plugin makers etc. will follow this same path.

Therefore I would recommend the first thing to do is up your WP version to 3.3 and go forward from there :slight_smile:

• mvanorshoven

Hi Joe & Phil!

Thank you both for your replies and information; I appreciate it.

Joe - I am using WP 3.3 - thanks for having me check that.

Phil - no, I do not have an issue with the integrated video tutorials plugin; in sending my question, I was required to select a plugin & the video one was closest to my issue.

My issue is that I want to host streaming (not downloadable) video on my WP site for members only, so it needs to be restricted access.

VideoPress is a plugin I can use with WP, though it hasn't been tested with 3.3 so I'm reluctant to use it.

I'm unfamiliar with the Status plugin. Would this provide me what I need for the video?

• aecnu

I think the Status Plugin would do exactly what you seek within the guidelines I had mentioned earlier to secure the actual video and prevent it from being easily stolen.

Everything a person sees on the web is actually a download - minimum to their cache - I do not think their is a video format yet that I cannot capture because if it can be scene it can be captured.

However, the majority do not have the skills to accomplish this and I was giving advice to make it even harder but also relatively easy to manage from your end :slight_smile:

• aecnu

with Status it is about ease of embedding video into posts which could be protected by Membership and protected by a cloaked URL to the actual secured download location where ever that may be.

On You Tube they are certainly not secure and they are also censored.

Because I have no clue as to the nature of the videos in question i.e. stock tips etc. only you know why they should be secured at this point :slight_smile:

I was just pointing out what I believe to be a relatively easy workable solution to what I further believe you want to accomplish :slight_smile:

• aecnu

well I personally would be using Status, but status is what I choose to be able to easily and quickly add video to posts - but is not related to where the videos are actually stored.

In my vision of what you want to do, the videos must be stored somewhere.

In this case you chose Host Monster and when I checked on them their plan has the typical sales BS "Unlimited" which Timothy and I have discussed and pointed out as all those claiming "Unlimited" is just plain out total BS - but that is a different subject altogether :slight_smile:

In Summary:

Status is the enabler of adding the videos quickly and easily to your Posts (protected posts for members only in this case) and Host Monster is where the videos are actually stored and streamed from using cloaked URLs to protect the source.

• mvanorshoven

Hi Joe,

Yes, I wondered about the "unlimited" offer from Host Monster. It just seemed too good to be true, especially when comparable companies, like Green Geeks, offer tiered packages at different prices for limited storage/bandwidth, etc.

I'm now thinking about storing my videos in an iCloud - is this a good idea and is it secure?

As for having my health, fitness and wellness videos restricted to view by members only, I'm wondering about using Codex, so in the code it would only allow logged in members to view the videos. What do you think?

• aecnu

I have no idea about cloud computing and I personally avoid it like the plaque preferring Dedicated Servers which are certainly the most secure when configured properly and with the right security measures i.e. firewall etc.

From what I understand about Cloud Computing, the tasks are shared among several different servers offering performance enhancement - however at the same time it is sure that security is much more of a challenge to manage then with single boxes.

This is where we initiate load balancing of single servers to offset possible performance problems while maintaining a single point of possible security breach - which is obviously much easier to defend.

I am not familiar with "Codex, so in the code it would only allow logged in members to view the videos."

Therefore I cannot offer an opinion about it nor can I find it due to I cannot figure out which specific product you are referring to.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.