Installing wildcard SSL cert on a multisite subdomain install.

I have a wildcard SSL certificate that I’ve been using for my various sub-domains. We’re now migrating from separate host machines to a single multisite wordpress install.

I need to know how to install a wildcard SSL certificate that will enable SSL on all of the subdomains I’m creating through WordPress Network.

Thanks for your help!

• wp.network
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @vaughan

Its my impression that in general, installing the primary as www. when using subdomains for one’s network is, while perhaps possible, not advised.

I am I correct on this?

That one wants one’s Wildcard SSL for *.primary.tld is then a further issue with www. and subdomain networks… correct?

Hoping the clarification can be helpful for @kevin too :slight_smile:

Regards, Max

• Kevin
    • Flash Drive

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. We actually host the site internally, I just built a new server for this specifically.

We have dedicated IP for it, and I also installed the multisite domain as domain.com

I guess at this point I just need the documentation on how to install our already existing wildcard cert on a WordPress installation.

Thanks for the help guys!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @kevin,

Hope you’re well today! :slight_smile:

There aren’t specific instructions for WordPress, rather you’d follow the specific server instructions, there’s some good guides here https://www.digicert.com/ssl-certificate-installation.htm :slight_smile:

As long as the cert is on the server your site is on, pointing to the correct domain and you have your wildcard A record and Wildcard SSL your good to go. :slight_smile:

@TIVISM That’s correct, a wildcard SSL would be *.domain.com, you can’t use a sub domain install on WordPress with www. it won’t work correctly.

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.