Installing WordPress using IP Address and SSL

I'm new to WordPress. Normally I use a proprietary CMS that is licensed to both a domain name and a static IP address. So, from my host, I get the static IP address and use that to build my site. Once site is ready to launch, I point the domain's A Record to the static IP and everything works, even SSL.

With WordPress, nothing is working. I've installed WordPress using the tool Fantastico provided by the hosting company. However, it installed based on the domain name, which is currently being used by the clients current website. I'm seeking to build him a new website, so I'm trying to figure out how to do that. Should I have installed manually using the IP Address? I am planning on using Woo Commerce and am in the process of having the SSL certificate installed on the server, so my second question is about how to make the SSL work for both the domain and the IP Address. Do you know if that's possible? With the proprietary CMS, these issues were non-issues. With WordPress, I'm trying to understand how to best do all of this. Can you help please?

Here is the new site: http://38.111.52.73/

The domain name goes to the old site.

Thank you so much,
elizabeth

• Patrick

Hey there @webdesyne

I hope you are having a great day!

My first recommendation would be to avoid those one-click WordPress install scripts, as they have a nasty tendency to create more hassles down the line than they're worth.

Installing WordPress manually is the best route to take. And it really does only take a few minutes. :slight_smile:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Famous_5-Minute_Install

Once it's up and running, you can install your SSL certificate as you normally do at your host.

Once the new site is ready to go live and accept visitors, you'll want to redirect traffic from the old one to the new. Here's a great tutorial to get that done:
    http://userguide.expand2web.com/301-redirecting-your-old-website-pages-to-your-new-wordpress-website/

Please let us know if I missed anything. :slight_smile:

• webdesyne

Thank you Patrick for this information. I'll try this, but I'm still not understanding how to view the site in the browser when the domain name is currently being used by the old site on a different host. We are building this site on a different hosting company, and all I have it a static IP to view the site, since when you use the domain name, you go to the current (old) site.

I'm asking how to best do this process of installing and then viewing the site in the browser. It's been suggested that I edit my host file, but that's on my computer, and doesn't address how my boss or client will view the site.

I'm presuming I'll install using the IP address and not the domain name, is that correct? And then, when ready to launch, how do I change that to use the domain name, please?

• Ash

Hi @webdesyne

Changing URL is a little bit hassle. As per your above statement, I think you are changing host. So right now you have a domain - http://site.com and that is the old site and hosted in another server.

Now you want to create a new site for the same domain in a new server? Right?

If it is the case, I will recommend first remove the domain from old site and add in the new site. Not sure, how you configured the domain with old site, normally it is done by adding nameserver of host in domain panel. If it is same in your case, then add your new host nameserver, so that the domain is pointed to new host. Once the domain is pointed to new server, then install wordpress manually.

it would be more better if you install SSL certificate in the server, just after pointing the domain but before installing wordpress.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.