installing wp main root vs subdirectory

Hi, I am just starting to build an ecommerce store using wp and I'm wondering whether to install it in the main root vs subdirectory. I did read you post but still have questions. it says in the article that if I want to have more domains it would be better to install wp in a subdirectory. why is that? If I have another domain, my root is completely different, as I have a complete different website/domain name. where is the benefit of installing in in a subdirectory? Does the subdirectory give me more flexibility when it comes to scaling? For now my goal is opening a woocommerce store under mightyheirlooms.com but I plan on adding a blog and may also add more stores in the future, but those would have different names/domains. Thanks, Anne

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Anne,

I did read you post but still have questions. it says in the article that if I want to have more domains it would be better to install wp in a subdirectory.

Could you provide link to that article? I'm bit confused with that statement - maybe it was referring to Multisite and not a single installation? Or it was for specific hosting provider.

Because it doesn't matter if you install first WordPress in root or directory when it comes to more domains that you want to use on the same hosting account.
    Only reason that comes to mind is that there will be better order of directores when you access FTP account or file manager.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• anne

Hi, I don't find the link but regardless I just wanted to express I did do quite a bit of research on this matter but still have difficulties deciding whether to install WP in the main root vs the subdirectory. Could you assist me with that? Like I said I am planning to start a woocommerce store with either an integrated or a separate blog, then at some point I would also like to start different stores at different domains and maybe also different blogs. What are the advantages of WP being in a subdirectory? Would it be more secure, better scalable? Please help. Thanks, Anne

• Nithin

Hi anne,

Hope you are doing great today. :slight_smile:

In a single install, there isn't much of a difference when it comes to scalability, WordPress would act the same way when it's installed in a Root directory, or a sub directory. What subdirectory install provides you is that, it'll allow you to install/create new WordPress sites without affecting the site in the root directory. When it comes to security it doesn't provide any extra benefits when installed in a subdirectory location.

For every sub directory install you can add one domain, eg:

/public_html/subdirectory1/ will point to abc.com domain
    /public_html/subdircetory2/ will point to cba.com domain
    etc

But in a subdirectory, you'll have install WordPress individually, and they won't be interconnected. If that's what you want you could opt for subdirectory path. To avoid this repetition of installing WordPress on each subdirectory, you can make use of multisite where you can create multiple subsites, for eg:

abc.com/subsite1
    abc.com/subsite2
    etc

You might find the following article helpful, if you are considering Multisite:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ultimate-guide-multisite/

I hope this clears your doubts. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• anne

Hi, thank you very much. So if I understand correctly, in case I'd like to have multiple individual sites (multiple domains), let's say mystore1.com and mystore2.com I would have to choose subdirectory? Couldn't I have one domain, eg mystore1 in the root and different domains/stores eg mystore2 in subdirectories?
    What if it comes to a "under construction" site while I'm working on my main site or when I want to update/change my site in a test environment to try out new plugins etc without affecting the current site are there any benefits to subdirectory installation or would that work the same if installed in the root?
    Thanks, Anne

• Rupok

Hi Anne,

Thanks for asking. Considering your requirements, I personally think, you should create a subdirectory multisite network on the root. Suppose, your network main domain is "main.com". Then you can create different subsites in that network. Their URLs may be like "main.com/store1", "main.com/store2" etc. After that, you can map "store1.com" to "main.com/store1", "store2.com" to "main.com/store2" etc.

When you have a multisite setup, you can keep your network main site and other subsites available, and make the subsite under construction on which you are working.

I believe, this will serve your purpose most.

Please let us know if you have any confusion or any further query. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Denitsa

Hello anne
    I hope you are having an amazing day!

The brightest point of multisite is that you will have all your websites under one admin interface - you can install new or update all the themes, plugins and sites at once within one WP installation instead of updating each one separately. Managing all your blogs from one control panel is a significant advantage.

The downsides are that for example user profiles are the same for all sites and logged in users are logged in for all sites, making multisite not that appropriate for use with totally separate business entities. Also, if you are sure you're going to use certain Plugins, Themes or Widgets that do not work under multisite, several single WP installs would surely work better for you.

You can try out WP management services like InfiniteWP (https://infinitewp.com), ManageWP (https://managewp.com/) or WP Remote (https://www.wpremote.com/) to make managing your many single WP installs easier.

Keep in mind that there are many more free and paid services that provide that functionality, those are just some of the most popular ones that I'm giving here as an example.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Warm regards,
    Denitsa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.