Installing WPMU Dev Dashboard breaks my WordPress 4.7.3 website

I have installed ver 4.7.3 of WordPress on my host. Whenever I try installing ver 4.2 or 4.3 of the WPMU DEV Dashboard it breaks my website.

I've tried installing it using the ZIP file and also by using FileZilla to upload to Plugins Folder manually.

The screen just goes white - blank regardless if I try refreshing it. I've re-installed WordPress and the Database twice and it happens as soon as I try installing WPMU DEV Dashboard.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Ken Kimbrell

Hello Darren-

In order for us to better decipher whats going on, we would need you to grant us temporary support access to your website so we can have a better look of your setup and settings. You can grant us access via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin, there's no need to share credentials. Here's our detailed documentation page about it:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

We'll wait for your confirmation reply here, as we don't get any notification when a member is granting us support access. We could then dig in and further investigate this!

Also, it would help if you went into your root directory that contains the wordpress installation and finding the wp-config.php file then setting:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

to true. See image below:

after you enable this, try to install the WPMU dashboard plugin and your whitescreen should output some error, so we can better understand the cause of this.

Just post a screen shot of the error in this thread.

Let me know how I can help!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

Ken Kimbrell

Hello Darren-

Were you able to rectify this problem? Let me know if I can help. It does seem like in order for me to further access the problem I would need FTP access.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    Please visit our private Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: Ken Kimbrell"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)
    ------

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

Ken Kimbrell

Hello Darren-

It appears you have over allocated your memory, this could be due to installing multiple plugins. What we need to do is go into your root file where your core installation of wordpress resides and find the wp-config.php file. In this case it was signup/wp-config.php. We then need to edit that file and add this snippet of code:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

directly under this code:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

This will increase the Wordpress memory limit. By default the limit is only 32M, so you can see how you might run into this error at least once as your site grows. See image below of where I put the code in your file:

Your site does seem to be up and running again. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Rest assure we all come across this problem at least once. Now you are better equipped to eradicate this bug should the problem arise once again.

P.S. I went back in and set your debug to false

Let me know how this works for you!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support