Instant Payment Notification Warning, IPN Forwarder Failing

I'm hoping Aaron might be able to shed some light on why our IPN Forwarder might be failing all of a sudden...

I just received a warning from PayPal stating

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing: http://agreda.com/ipn/ipn-forwarder.php

I have made no changes to the Forwarder, nor have I edited the wp-config files on any sites in the forwarding array.

So I checked the IPN Forwarder logs and noticed multiple errors like this one:

[2012-03-04 14:39:28] Could not contact tripawds.com/ipn-handler.php to send the IPN: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found payment_cycle=every+12+Months&txn_type=recurring_payment_profile_cancel&last_name=Gordon&next_payment_date=N%2FA&residence_country=US&initial_payment_amount=0.00&rp_invoice_id=site3_1674_3_12_129_USD_1330820338&currency_code=USD&time_created=16%3A18%3A58+Mar+03%2C+2012+PST&verify_sign=AanfqmupM8NC7KuUqyodVAIKx37YAg7cm-GCilHmlepMEjBz7M2yRbaH&period_type=+Regular&payer_status=unverified&tax=0.00&payer_email=greg.gordon%40comcast.net&first_name=Greg&receiver_email=jcnjr%40agreda.com&payer_id=4EQBUQUFW7T8W&product_type=1&shipping=0.00&amount_per_cycle=129.00&profile_status=Cancelled&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.4&amount=129.00&outstanding_balance=0.00&recurring_payment_id=I-L5RH272BW1TG&product_name=Tripawds+Supporter+III%3A+%24129.00+USD+every+12+months&ipn_track_id=5641706d8c6dc

When I try to visit the URL indicated (http://tripawds.com/ipn-handler.php) I do indeed get a 404 error.

FYI: I then sent a test IPN from the PayPal Sandbox and it appeared in the logs just fine.

Everything seemed to be working just fine... any direction for troubleshooting and resolving this error is greatly appreciated.

On a related note if the cancellation IPN above did not get forwarded, what will happen on the expiration of this Supporter subscription?

• aecnu

Greetings jcnjr,

Though I will need to call Aaron in here to check out your IPN errors and him to offer an answer as to possibly why .... I can answer your following question

On a related note if the cancellation IPN above did not get forwarded, what will happen on the expiration of this Supporter subscription?

I suspect that it would be treated like any other expiration there privileges would be revoked.

In the case of Pro Sites everything, meaning plugins and themes would revert back to default or to none premium versions.

I will let Aaron know about this error you are getting and see if he has any thoughts as to what/why this is happening.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• jcnjr

Thanks Joe.

I've upgraded to Pro Sites 3.1.1 but have still made no changes to our ipn forwarder or any of the wp-config files, and I am continuing to receive notification warnings from Paypal:

IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:
    http://agreda.com/ipn/ipn-forwarder.php
    If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Checking our ipn forwarder logs, it looks like no notifications are forwarding to the tripawds.com domain in the array, but there are no errors for other domains in the array...

[2012-03-05 12:54:41] Could not contact tripawds.com/ipn-handler.php to send the IPN: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found...

We've had a number of Tripawds Pro Sites upgrades recently and I fear a nightmare when all these subscriptions renew without the plugin getting notified. That bit about IPNs getting disabled is rather concerning too!

We've also had many MarketPress purchases at other domains in the array but we're not seeing any errors for those.

Has anyone else who uses IPN forwarding seen a failure of IPNs?

Desperately looking for some direction to help troubleshoot and resolve this. thanks in advance for any help!

• aecnu

Greetings jcnjr,

Though I have tagged Aaron on this to get his advice, I myself am wondering if you need to use the IPN forwarder at all.

Consider the following proven formulas and we will certainly be able to make this determination:

In summary,
    - Multiple Marketpress installations with the same paypal account: no problem.
    - Multiple ProSite installations with the same paypal account: set up the multiple IPN script.
    - Single ProSite installation: set the IPN in your PayPal profile.

Please advise to if you are running multiple instance of Pro Sites or not. If not you may want to consider abandoning the IPN forwarder completely having one less link in the chain to possibly break.

Meanwhile I will try to get Aaron's considered advice in here for us.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• jcnjr

FYI: After continuing to receive the notification failure, I've taken Joe's advice and changed our PayPal Instant Payment Notification URL settings to the URL indicated in the PayPal Express section of the Tripawds.com Pro Sites admin page. The other domains in the forwarder array are still running Supporter, or were still awaiting installation of Pro Sites, which we had hoped to do soon.

Two Questions (For Now):
    Should doing this affect legacy Supporter subscriptions on the other domains? I do not notice anywhere within the Support admin settings that reference IPNs or a notification URL.

Will changing the notification URL affect existing Tripawds Pro Sites subscriptions?

Looking forward to getting the forwarder script working again so we can proceed with upgrading to Pro Sites on our other domains...

Thanks again for any help!

• jcnjr

Where are you getting this url?
    http://tripawds.com/ipn-handler.php

Good question! That is the URL in the error messages I just started receiving from PayPal after everything was functioning fine for the last few weeks. I believe it has something to do with the array in the forwarder script which I have not changed since installing it...

// An array of prefix to search for, domain and path to post to, and whether we're using sandbox or not for applications
    $apps = array(
      /* Site 1 Agreda */
      array('prefix' => 'site1',
            'domain' => 'agreda.com',
            'path'   => '/ipn-handler.php',
            'live'   => true),

/* Site 2 Tripawds.net */
      array('prefix' => 'site2',
            'domain' => 'tripawds.net',
            'live'   => true),

/* Site 3 Tripawds.com */
      array('prefix' => 'site3',
            'domain' => 'tripawds.com',
            'live'   => true),

/* Site 4 RVBlogz.com */
      array('prefix' => 'site4',
            'domain' => 'rvblogz.com',
            'live'   => true)
    );

Note the domains and paths.

• jcnjr

those are just sample values. You need to put in the actual IPN urls

Interesting, that doesn't explain how it's been working for the past few weeks. But I digress...

I've edited the array to include the recommended path for all our domains running pro Sites, and switched the notification URL in our PayPal account back to the forwarder.

Thanks again for your quick efficient support Aaron, I'll report back if issues persist.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.