Instructor access to course/dashboard

Hi guys!

Am I missing something (else!)? I have set up myself and another as instructors on a course, but I cannot access the course itself or answer student questions without enrolling that account in the course, which means I show up as a student as well as instructor!

Is there any other way of allowing instructors access?

Thanks!
Arthur

• Arthur

Hi Ash,

Sorry, I should have been more detailed. I can access the course to manage it, but only via the WP dashboard. The main issue at the moment is that I cannot reply to questions. So, in the Test Student account, I go to "Discussions" and "Ask a Question".

Then, in the Instructor account, I go to "Manage Course" and it takes me to the WP dashboard, not the CoursePress front end. When I click on "Discussions" it takes me to a list of questions asked, but not the whole discussion. All I can do is edit the question, which clearly I do not wish to do - it belongs to the student.

Also, responses do not show up - having added myself as a student, I was able to reply at the front end, but this does not appear in the back end. I think this is an oversight, but I may be wrong - if there is another way to participate/answer student questions I would love to hear about it.

I have the Support System plugin installed on the site, but that is a different. I would like this to be an open discussion between the students and the instructors - not just between students! I can't find a way of doing that.

Thanks,
    Arthur

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Then, in the Instructor account, I go to "Manage Course" and it takes me to the WP dashboard, not the CoursePress front end

I am not sure what you meant by "Manage Course" here so could you please tell me?

When I click on "Discussions" it takes me to a list of questions asked, but not the whole discussion. All I can do is edit the question, which clearly I do not wish to do - it belongs to the student.

I could confirm this on my site as an instructor and this is because currently you can only answer the discussions from the front end only.

Also, responses do not show up - having added myself as a student, I was able to reply at the front end, but this does not appear in the back end.

I could also confirm it.

To also do this from admin area and show the responses there, I will move this over to the features & feedback section. This way it can be considered for future development, and we can also see what other community members think about the feature request.

I would like this to be an open discussion between the students and the instructors - not just between students! I can't find a way of doing that.

I have set up myself and another as instructors on a course, but I cannot access the course itself or answer student questions without enrolling that account in the course, which means I show up as a student as well as instructor!

I can answer the student question in the discussions as an instructor without enrolling to the course but just can't access the course without enrolling it.

If it's not working on your site like this then would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some troubleshooting? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Arthur

Hi Vinod,

First of all the "Manage course" is on the instructor's Dashboard at the front end (see screenshot).

I'm not worried about accessing and replying to comments at the back end - it's more user-friendly at the front end. My point is that instructors cannot see or participate in the discussion, which they should.

Clearly little or no thought has been given (yet!) to how the instructor interacts with students on the site, a key part of any online learning experience. If a student asks a question, they will naturally assume an instructor will see and respond. Well, we can see, but we cannot respond, at least not directly and publicly for the benefits of all.

The alternative, I guess, would be to link to the support system and make that public, as in this forum, but I'm not sure how that would integrate with the CoursePress Dashboard.

A related issue is that we don't necessarily want instructors to access the backend - it's much more user friendly, as I say, at the front end and the back end should just be for administrators. But that's a whole other area that will require more work. But it could grow out of the fundamental issue, which, to summarise is as follows:

Instructors should be able to access the front end in order to answer questions from students (without being enrolled in the course as a student).

I have enabled support access for you to have a look.

Thanks!
    Arthur

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Arthur,

Then, in the Instructor account, I go to "Manage Course" and it takes me to the WP dashboard, not the CoursePress front end

First of all the "Manage course" is on the instructor's Dashboard at the front end (see screenshot).

I could confirm it and this is because currently you can manage coerces only from admin area.

Instructors should be able to access the front end in order to answer questions from students (without being enrolled in the course as a student).

I have tested it on your site and could confirm the instructors could access the front end in order to answer questions from students (without being enrolled in the course as a student).

After logging in as instructor, you have to visit the following URL to access the discussions section to answer student questions.

http://yoursite.com/courses/course-name/discussions

Example:

http://yoursite.com/courses/applied-corporate-governance-directorship/discussions

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Arthur

Hi Vinod,
    Sorry for the late reply and thanks - you've answered my question.

It's not very clear though - there is no direct link except through the preview screen. I imagine it would be fairly easy to allow that view without going into the back end, course management, then out to preview. Can I make a feature request?

At least there's a workaround now, though!

Thanks again
    Arthur

• Arthur

Hi Patrick,

Something like that would be good, yes. I often start by opening a view of the course, so I guess a more useful button would be a "view course". That way you can see it as the student does (important for support, of course), and view the discussions, as well as the notifications, etc.

Also, the "Manage discussions" button might logically take you to the back end, which you currently do in the backend dashboard menu. If that backend allowed you to respond to questions, as we've talked about in this thread, that would make this feature better, but it's more work and I'd rather have the easy front end link so I (and non-admin instructors) can participate in the same/similar way to the students.

The "View Course" would therefore go to the existing Units page (http://governance-training.com/courses/applied-corporate-governance-directorship/units/ in this case) which effectively by-passes the "enrol" function and allows you to see the full course menu including discussions.

Hopefully that makes sense. I haven't done it like a use case/user story this time but hopefully my awareness of developer requirements has made my description and solution clear!

Cheers,
    Arthur

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.