Instructor Permission with CoursePress

Hello
I am learning my way around the plugins and working on CoursePress.
I've managed to figure out most of it, not that it was difficult to understand.
But I have run into an issue. I set up instructor permission and gave a user the role Instructor to check it.
This user cannot see the add new course or anything else.
What am I missing???
This site is part of a multisite.
I would appreciate any help on this matter.
Thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Sophie,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Could you please go to the "CoursePress -> Settings -> Instructor Capabilities" page and double-check if Instructiors are given appropriate capabilities such as e.g. "Create new courses"?

This would be the first thing to check. If this wouldn't help, could you please grant me a support access to your site so I could take a closer look? Here's a guide on how to do this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• sophie

Hello
    Merry Christmas to all.
    I have been looking at this, and I think I am unclear how can I assign a user to be an instructor. I see nowhere under CoursePress that I can do this. And It doesn't show up as a role to be assigned.
    The instructor is not a WordPress role. The Instructor role that I added to the user previously was created by another Course plugin that I tried. I mistook it with yours.
    Please explain to me how I can add this role?? Does CoursePress work with AAM(advanced access manager) Plugin?? Perhaps, I can set up permission that way.
    I understand it is a holiday; I hope you will get back to me when you are back.
    I appreciate any assistance you can give me on this.
    Thank you
    Sophie

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Sophie!

The instructor is not a WordPress role. The Instructor role that I added to the user previously was created by another Course plugin that I tried. I mistook it with yours.

I think this would be the main reason for the issue then. In CoursePress you need to assign instructor to the course. There's no need to setup any "specific role" to the user that's set as an instructor but the user has to be added to a course as instructor.

Here's how to do this:

1. Go to the "CoursePress Pro -> Courses" page
    2. Hover over selected course and click on "Edit"
    3. Click on "Step 3 - Instructors and Facilitators"
    4. Select and "Assign" registered users of your WordPress site that you want to be instructors for this course

5. Repeat steps 1-4 for each course that you are running.

That would add "CoursePress instructors" to your courses and automatically grant them permissions that I was referring to in my previous post.

Give it a try please and let me know if that worked for you. I think it should help :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• sophie

Hello
    I have one issue. I was under the impression that instructors can create their course. But I see no way to accomplish this. I cannot give them the role instructor. So how can I give them permission to create a new course?
    It is very confusing.
    I cannot get any permission and capability to work. I used AAM, and it doesn't work at all. But AAM works with just about any other kind of custom post type.

I am at a loss how I can set commission as well.
    I read your instruction, and I can see there is a capability to allow an instructor to create a course, but if I can only assign a course to a user and call them instructor, then what is the sense of allowing create course when I cannot assign the role instructor to anyone before hand??

I would appreciate it if you can advise me how to accomplish this.
    Regards
    Sophie

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Sophie,

It actually looks like there's an issue with CP 2.0 where granting Instructor capabilities is not available within user account.
    Previously there was an option to grant or revoke instructor capabilities when editing his account from admin section.
    I have already created report for this and notified our developers.

Current workaround would be assigning desired user as instructor to any course, this will give them instructor capabilities and they will be able to create their own courses after that.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.