Instructor Role disappeared

We were trying to assign some instructors today and it seems the Instructor wordpress role has disappeared. We don't know how to get it back.

Tried to uninstall/reinstall coursepress but that has not worked. How do we get it back?

• Nithin

Hi lowercase,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

We were trying to assign some instructors today and it seems the Instructor wordpress role has disappeared. We don't know how to get it back.

There isn't any instructor role by default in CoursePress, all the users are assigned with the roles as Subscriber by default in WordPress. When we add these users as instructors, additional capabilities are added to these users.

You can check what all instructor capabilities are assigned, via CoursePress Pro > Settings > Instructor Capabilities

Either the role is related to some other plugin? Or when did you notice the roles getting disappeared? After any plugin update?

I hope this might steer you in the right direction, if you still have issues, please do let us know we would be glad to get you sorted. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello lowercase,

When user, with even subscriber role, is assigned as instructor it gets additional capabilities (those can be seen in that user profile

those capabilities are set in CoursePress -> Settings -> Instructor Capabilities

So you have to check in those settings if instructors on your site can edit courses:
    - Update own courses
    - Update any assigned course

kind regards,
    Kasia

• lowercase

Hi Kasia Swiderska

This is not the issue for us.

In addition to not having any user roles for INSTRUCTORS (it seems to be missing from our installation), we need to make sure EDITORS can EDIT things within Wordpress.
    Currently, Coursepress does not allow EDITORS the ability to EDIT courses.

This is an essential requirement within Wordpress and not sure why Coursepress won't let EDITORS, EDIT.

Any help appreciated.

• Rupok

Hi lowercase,

we need another way to allow non-admins the ability to edit courses

You can allow non-admin users the ability to edit courses by adding them as "Instructor" on your courses and then configuring the Instructor Capabilities options as Kasia described above.

To add users on your courses as Instructor, please edit that course and click on "Step 3 – Instructors and Facilitators" option. There you will see the option to add instructors. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

After adding your user as an Instructor, that user will get options to edit that course if "Instructor Capabilities" section has proper option check marked. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

Please let us know if this is not happening on your site. In that case, I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello lowercase,

Ok, I know what the issue is. You can't add user as instructor in course edition here

because select is not working. This is not because user doesn't have instructor capabilities (they are added to user after user becomes instructor) but because there is JavaScript error in browser console

Uncaught Error: Option 'ajax' is not allowed for Select2 when attached to a <select> element.

From what I see Advanced Custom Fields is responsible for this error. We have seen it before and it is because this plugin is using old version of the Select2 library. Developer of that plugin would need to update plugin to latest select2 library.
    But to be sure I'm not wrong on this one, can you disable ACF and see if then you will be able to add new instructor to course?

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.