integrate "blog" posts to marketpress with "product" theme

Hi - I'm setting up a store - you can see it at altprint.org. Currently using the "multisite" option, as I plan on running several sites from this one. I am trying install a top menu button that goes to a standard "blog" - for news posts and etc, that shows all blog posts in a reverse-chronological order, like a standard blog. While I can access individual posts, and, more broadly, categories ( http://altprint.org/blog/category/uncategorized/ ), I would like to have the link a bit cleaner, preferably linking just to altprint.org/blog - currently this results in a "not found" error, as you can see if you click on the "Journal" button.

I know when using multisite Wordpress adds a "/blog" prefix to every URL - is this what is messing me up?

• Timothy Bowers

I know when using multisite Wordpress adds a "/blog" prefix to every URL - is this what is messing me up?

/blog/ is only included in the subdirectory version to avoid permalink conflicts.

I am trying install a top menu button that goes to a standard "blog" - for news posts and etc,

Which theme are you using?

Different themes can behaviour differently, some have templates to create a blogs archive page which enables you to make it any page you wish, others don't. Some will have different types of settings as well.

Blog posts are independent from MarketPress product posts though, so the urls would be different. For example MarketPress uses a /store/ slug.

Thanks.
    Tim.

• emachino

Solved! I am now using the Blog-In-Blog plugin, which allows posts of a certain category to be displayed like the front page of a normal blog on a page. Basically, it uses a shortcode on a page (not post) you make to call all posts of a certain category - this is nice because instead of using a URL like yourdomain.com/category/blog, you can just use yourdomain.com/blog, or whatever you name the page. Blog-In-Blog uses its own template file, so you can format the posts how you like.

Linking to a category worked but was problematic because displaying posts by category truncates the posts by default - not suitable if you want a fully functioning blog within Marketpress or any other CMS... This can be solved without the plugin by editing the loop.php file. This is discussed here. Blog-In-Blog seems like a fine solution though!

I should also mention that this is obviously not an issue that has anything to do with the Product theme directly - it is sort of difficult to retain a functioning blog within any type of Wordpress CMS it seems.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.