Integrating eNewsletter and Gravity Forms -- a Primer

Team WPMU,

One of the most common requests that I've seen for eNewsletter is to integrate it with Gravity Forms. After much research and discussion with GF, I have a 90% solution. It's not perfect, but I'm hoping the staff at WPMU will be able to take it to the next level. Here is what I have:

Based on an earlier thread with Maniu, these are the available "hooks" for eNewsletter:

newsletter_action = 'new_subscribe'
e_newsletter_email =
--optional--
e_newsletter_name =
e_newsletter_groups_id = (array with ids: e_newsletter_groups_id[])

You can take these and create an HTML form for eNewsletter signups. Here is a sample -- I tested it and it worked perfectly:

<form action="http://www.yoursite.com/" method="post">
<input name="newsletter_action" type="hidden" value="new_subscribe" />
<label for="name">Your Name</label>
<input id="name" name="e_newsletter_name" type="text" />
<label for="email">Your Email Address</label>
<input id="email" name="e_newsletter_email" type="text" />
<input type="submit" value="Submit" /></form>

Talking with Gravity Forms, here is how you translate that HTML form into a GF:

1. Add a Hidded field type. In advanced tab put new_subscribe in Default Value.
2. Your Name field should be a single line text field.
3. Email is a email type field.

Then to post it to your third-party service, use the gform_after_submission hook, you can check the example 2 on the following link to see how: http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gform_after_submission

This solution will work for a single instance, but it needs some refinement by someone who knows more than I to make it universal. I'm thinking custom fields in GF, etc, so members will not have to edit their functions.php file every time. Here is a link on adding custom field options to GF: http://wpsmith.net/2011/plugins/how-to-create-a-custom-form-field-in-gravity-forms-with-a-terms-of-service-form-field-example/

I hope this helps jump start this discussion and gives the WPMU dev team a leg up in making the eNewsletter plugin compatible with Gravity Forms.

Thanks,

Rob Mc

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Rob,

Hope you're well?

Thanks for this feedback, whilst this is a bit beyond my capability I will certainly ask one of our developers to see if he can help with this. I can't make any guarantess though, but it's certainly worth looking into.

Cheers.

• peter_harris
    • Syntax Hero

Hey @jetmac

Wondering if you could explain what you put in the functions script? Obviously the code in 'example 2' as you mentioned is for some other process entirely. Any idea what should be code to get the email address to connect to e-newsletter?

Thanks in advance.

• jetmac
    • Recruit

Peter, I don't have that information, as I am not able to code this myself. I just provided the input and methodology Gravity Forms recommends be used in the hopes that WPMU will take it on board and finally provide this capability.

Speaking of which...

Team WPMU, how is this effort coming along? Integrating eNewsletter with Gravity Forms (indeed, integrating nearly all of your input requiring plugins with Gravity Forms) is one of the most requested features -- any progress?

Thanks,
    Rob

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.