Internal Server Error, Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error

Hello,

From 3 days now i got this issue which is still persistent.
I was trying to do a restoration of my website when the server crashed and gave me this error:
"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@ and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache Server at ....com Port ...".

After restoring my site (with a lot of complications) I did then contact my host who tried to help me with that error. They told me that i got a lot of plugins which are using to many resources. Then i disable all of them and enable one by one those that i need.
Everything was fine for a couple of days, until the same "error" showed again. I'm trying everything i know and i can to fix that but still i'm getting that when clicking on links sometimes.

That's why i'm here to ask WPMU support team an assistance! As i saw once on your website that you can provide assistance to all your WPMU customers (Premium as i am) for any kind of assistance even not regarding WPMU plugins.

Could you please help me with that?
Thanks in advance.

Regards

• Majid

Hello needclubs
    I hope you are doing great today :slight_smile:

Since you mentioned that the error goes away for 2 days and comes back without doing any changes or adding plugins/themes, this very likely means that the issue is the memory being consumed and hitting the resources limit at some point causing the Internal error 500.

You car try increasing the memory limit of your WordPress install by adding the following line of code to your wp-config.php file ( can be found under your WordPress installation root folder).
    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '3000M');

This should go above the line that says "Happy Blogging!"

Let us know how it went :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Majid

• Dimitris

Hello there needclubs,

hope you're doing good today and please excuse our late response here.

Could you please increase PHP memory limits and max_execution_time by creating/editing a php.ini file, as described here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/
    You can choose for memory_limit 3000M and for max_execution_time 300.
    You'll find multiple workarounds for making these changes, please ensure that these are working from wp-admin area under WPMU DEV -> Support -> System Info [button]

If these errors (500) continues and as they are pretty generic, we'd better activate WP_DEBUG to see if any other, more specific, error messages are getting logged. In order to do so, please access your server via FTP, edit the wp-config.php file, find a line like
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);and replace it with the following (if the above line doesn’t exist, simply insert next snippet just above the /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ comment)

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    // Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors', 0);

Then go ahead and try to replicate the error by clicking a link that produces that 500 error (if you can find some exact steps that reproduce this 500 error code, please do share these with us).
    By doing so, a /wp-content/debug.log file should be created.
    Simply download it, rename it to debug.txt and attach it here in your next reply. If the size of text file exceeds the 5MB limit of our blog, please use a service like Dropbox and post the shareable link instead.
    Ref: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/debugging-wordpress-how-to-use-wp_debug/

Finally, please grant support access to your website via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin (no need to share credentials) as described here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5
    Please let us know here in your next reply that access has been granted as we don't get any notifications about it. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• needclubs

Hi Dimitris,

Thank you for your reply.
    I increased PHP memory limits and max_execution_time as you told me: memory_limit 3000M and for max_execution_time 300.
    I cleaned all cache system from my Website and browsers, and tried again to replicate the error by clicking links such as:
    https://needclubs.com/register/
    https://needclubs.com/login/
    https://needclubs.com/real-estates/flatshare-very-central-safe-cosy-and-quiet/
    And got again the same error (500). After refreshing the page 2 or 3 times it shows normally.

As you asked i did activate WP_DEBUG to see if any other error messages are getting logged too and granted to you support access to the website via WPMUDEV Dashboard.

Here is the link to the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x6u1rldmpdc2ou/debug.txt.log?dl=0

If you need any additional details please let me know.

Thank you for your assistance.

• Dimitris

Hello there needclubs,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I've tried to replicate the error, by refreshing these pages, with no avail though.

I wasn't able to do so as logged-in user though, as I can't see granted support access to our end.
    Could you please got to WPMUDEV -> Support in wp-admin area, "revoke" access, then re-grant it?
    Let us know here in your next reply that you did so please.

Also the debug log link from Dropbox gets me a "404-not found" error.

In case that this is still an issue with your installation, could you please share the following credentials by email? I could then inspect this debug.log file, also inspect your WP setup.

As this is public forum, you should send us your details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    - WordPress admin (login url/username/password)
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel/Plesk credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• needclubs

Hello Dimitris,

I'm fine thanks, hope you too!

Sorry i just have revoked the access and deleted the file from Dropbox this morning as i was waiting to hear back from you :slight_smile:

I have just re-granted again and uploaded the file to Dropbox, here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l93hukh1pvklfgh/debug.txt?dl=0

Yes we still have the issue, yesterday night for example maybe for couple of hours we were getting that on all links except for the HOME PAGE.

I have sent details through the form as you asked.

Many thanks.

Best regards!

• Dimitris

Hello needclubs,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I inspected wp-content/debug.log file and the only single error instance that I could find is the following:

[20-Sep-2017 09:47:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Class 'Inventor_Metaboxes' not found in /home3/inaltus2015/public_html/needclubs/wp-content/plugins/inventor/includes/class-inventor-post-types.php:296
    Stack trace:
    #0 /home3/inaltus2015/public_html/needclubs/wp-content/plugins/inventor/includes/post-types/class-inventor-post-type-business.php(84): Inventor_Post_Types::add_metabox('business', Array)
    #1 /home3/inaltus2015/public_html/needclubs/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(298): Inventor_Post_Type_Business::fields('')
    #2 /home3/inaltus2015/public_html/needclubs/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(323): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
    #3 /home3/inaltus2015/public_html/needclubs/wp-includes/plugin.php(453): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
    #4 /home3/inaltus2015/public_html/needclubs/wp-content/plugins/cmb2/bootstrap.php(34): do_action('cmb2_init')
    #5 /home3/inaltus2015/public_html/needclubs/wp-content/plugins/cmb2/init.php(161): cmb2_bootstrap()
    #6 /home3/inaltus2015/public_html/needclubs/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(298): CMB2_Bootstrap_2253->include_cm in /home3/inaltus2015/public_html/needclubs/wp-content/plugins/inventor/includes/class-inventor-post-types.php on line 296

I can see that all reported files are in your server though, and there's nothing after that, apart from several harmful notices.
    I can also see that everything look like updated, if you've been making updates/changes via FTP in any plugin/theme though, you may need to re-upload these, just in case something went wrong during previous procedures.

Finally, and as I'm still unable to reproduce any 500 error from my end, I wonder if this has to do with any server resources. Is this a shared server you're using?
    If you reproduce this again, please have a look in Usage section of cPanel, for any exceeded limits.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• needclubs

Hello Dimitris,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes i saw those several harmful notices too and i'm working on fixing them.
    Me too i was wondering if the 500 error has to do with server resources as we are on a "shared server". Can it be cause we are on a "shared server"? Do you think that upgrade our host to a VPS (for example) in order to increase our resources could be the solution?

Until now we didn't get any other "500 error". Then as you suggested, if we face it again we will check Usage section in cPanel, for any exceeded limits to know if it's really linked to server resources.
    Many thanks

Best regards

• Dimitris

This could be a case, yes. I wasn't able to see more stats on usage though, so you may have to contact Hostgator to keep you posted about these limits (or any other error message that they could possibly extract), on the given times you were experiencing these errors.

If this is confirmed, and it isn't some kind of strange conflict, then updating server to a VPS should make website much faster and stable.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.