Internal Server Error on installation

When I attempt to install the plugin, I get an Internal Server Error before the plugin is even uploaded. The zip file never even makes it to the server.

I’ve seen this before with my own plugins before, but have never really figured out what caused it because it wouldn’t happen on all servers, only some. Now it’s happening with a WPMUDEV plugin as well. Anyone have any ideas what causes this? I’m on WP 3.3.2

• vanclute
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Some additional strange info…

On another WP install on the same server, trying to install this plugin gives me:

Are you sure you want to do this?

Please try again.

Clicking on “Please Try Again” just dumps me back to the “Add New” page.

?!????

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings vanclute,

Why are you not simply FTPing the files to the server instead of trying to use the internal uploader?

If the practice of FTP is not followed then how does one follow the parent/child theme format of those that require it or use plugins like Multi DB etc. that cannot be used using the uploader.

I recommend uploading the plugin via FTP and let us know if you experience any further anomalies.

Please advise.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• vanclute
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Well there are 2 main reasons why I’m using the uploader…

1. I’ve forced myself to get in the habit of using it because I’m a developer myself and the vast majority of my users, are going to use the uploader to install/activate things rather than FTP.

2. I like it better since I’ve gotten used to it.

BONUS REASON: I don’t generally use MU so multi-site-oriented plugins/themes don’t typically matter much to me.

This just seems like a bug in the plugin to me as all the references to the “Are you sure you want to do this?” error message seem to refer to nonce collisions.

If nobody has any ideas on a fix that’s fine, I’ve found another simple email plugin to do what I needed most urgently, but it seems like this would be good to fix if possible.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings vanclute,

Thank you for the feedback, it is indeed greatly appreciated.

I have installed this plugin on several servers and have never had a single error like this occur, but I admit that I do not use the internal uploader.

This just seems like a bug in the plugin to me as all the references to the “Are you sure you want to do this?” error message seem to refer to nonce collisions.

If nobody has any ideas on a fix that’s fine, I’ve found another simple email plugin to do what I needed most urgently, but it seems like this would be good to fix if possible.

In an effort to replicate your issue, I have tried the internal uploader to two different servers and the screen shots are below.

Server 1 running php 5.3.10 http://wpmu-hosting.org/phpinfo.php

Server 2 running php 5.2.14 http://fab-host.com/phpinfo.php

No errors, installed flawlessly the first time.

I’ve seen this before with my own plugins before, but have never really figured out what caused it because it wouldn’t happen on all servers, only some.

In my year plus with WPMU Dev, this is the first time I have ever heard of this error with this plugin. We would love to fix it but I cannot replicate it.

Have you ever had any luck figuring out a possible common reason that these plugins do not work on some servers and yet on others? What the difference is in there configurations? Or what they have in common for those that fail?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• vanclute
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for your efforts! I’ve got my host (LiquidWeb) looking into the issue at this point, in case there is some obscure server configuration issue causing intermittent issues. I’ll let you know what we eventually discover if anything!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings vanclute,

Thank you so much for letting me know and I look forward to the results concerning configurations from your host :slight_smile:

I included the php.ini files of the two dedicated servers I tested on hoping to make it easier for those looking at configurations to possibly find the discrepancy or possibly cure.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Joe

• vanclute
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Looks like we have a solution… from my host:

“I believe the issue has been solved. I had to edit ModSec’s configuration file

to include the /tmp directory as the correct directory to store temporary

files that it uses. I have tested this by uploading the theme that you

provided me, and I was able to upload and install it properly.”

What’s odd is, based on the above I would have expected ALL plugin/theme installations to fail, but they didn’t. Only a very few certain ones would fail, and not a majority. Go figure… but all works now do hopefully everything is resolved for good!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

That is fantastic news!

Thanks for letting us know.

Maybe the tmp area it was using was more restrictive and caused issues for large files. I’m only guessing but your how will know for sure if you wanted to quiz them. I’m just a curious person and ask lots of questions to try and soak the knowledge up.

Sadly I have a terrible memory as well. lol

Take care.

• vanclute
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

It is quite strange and may have been some sort of file size issue. It certainly wasn’t the normal WP upload limit because that is set to 50MB currently. Whatever it was, I’m just glad it’s been sorted. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.