International business search by city

Hi,

We're looking to implement a search option (i.e. ajax search bar), where a user can search for a business, entering a city and while typing, getting a dropdown result (just as google search), with businesses available in this city + it's state and/or country. So only cities where a business is actually added to the site (we were thinking business profiles made with BuddyPress) will show a positive result, rather than showing all cities starting with the entered text.

Also, an option to click "search for nearby businesses" so the system can provide results based on the user's location.

Do you have any idea on how to do that?

thanks!

• Rupok

Hi M.

I hope you had a wonderful day.

You can do most of it with Custom Post Type and we have an awesome plugin for that: CustomPress.

With CustomPress, you can create a new Post Type called Business. And with Custom Fields feature, you can add different type of parameters like City, State, Country etc.

But the critical point here is the search functionality. You could use "SearchAutocomplete" plugin for automatic suggestions as you write your keyword like google, but as you said "only cities where a business is actually added to the site (we were thinking business profiles made with BuddyPress) will show a positive result, rather than showing all cities starting with the entered text", I'm afraid this will need advanced custom coding which is beyond our support scope.

However, you can always hire developers from our Jobs Section here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/jobs/

Please let us know if you have any further confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.