International Multisite, WPML and plugins

Hi WPMUDEV team,

I'm a web designer building up a multisite for a client who's starting an international franchise. The master/main site will be in Canada and we will be using it in French and English using the X Theme and WPML.

He has a franchise in Switzerland and their site (under the master site) needs to be in French and German. You can imagine how it goes for other countries.

There are times where we will need to push new posts or even new pages with Copier (made with the Cornerstone page builder) across the entire network from the main site to subsites in multiple languages. Should our main site then include ALL franchise languages? Is it possible then for subsites to display the content in only the language that's assigned to them? What if our master site only has 2 languages?

My second question regards the Theme Manager. Say that our main site has a green navbar, same for subsites. I change the navbar to red on the main site and want the subsites to follow. Am I right in understanding that I could take the X Theme, save an altered copy with Theme Manager - say I name it "Alpha" - and push that change to subsites? Do I have to make the change to each site individually or can I push an update automatically throughout the network? Would that erase some subsites' settings (such as regional logos in headers?)

Many thanks!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Alex,

There are times where we will need to push new posts or even new pages with Copier (made with the Cornerstone page builder) across the entire network from the main site to subsites in multiple languages. Should our main site then include ALL franchise languages? Is it possible then for subsites to display the content in only the language that's assigned to them? What if our master site only has 2 languages?

I never tested that type of combination but I have my doubts it will work flawless. If you have 20 posts in 20 languages then all the posts will be copied to each subsite. Probably they will all display on those subsites, but you would need to test that.
    Even if they wont display, each time on you will have posts from other languages on sites where they don't need them. That might be messy.

If you main site has only 2 languages then posts from that lanuages will be copied over the network and then they would need to be translated to subsites languages and set new languages.

My second question regards the Theme Manager. Say that our main site has a green navbar, same for subsites. I change the navbar to red on the main site and want the subsites to follow. Am I right in understanding that I could take the X Theme, save an altered copy with Theme Manager - say I name it "Alpha" - and push that change to subsites? Do I have to make the change to each site individually or can I push an update automatically throughout the network? Would that erase some subsites' settings (such as regional logos in headers?)

Do you mean this Theme Manager https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multisite-theme-manager/ ? It doesn't work like that - you can't copy theme with it, you can "rebrand" how it displays on Themes page.
    In your case bettor option is to use Ultimate Branding https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/ and Global header content to add styles that will change color of the nav bar globally across the network.
    Other solution would be add those CSS lines to X theme styles.css and they will be applied on each site that uses that theme.

If you create child theme with X Theme and there add new styles, then you will need to switch all them subsites to new theme and add all the Optimization again (because you will switch theme)

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.