Introducing BuddyPress Scholar

We'd like to introduce you to our latest theme BuddyPress Scholar. Buddy Scholar is a theme designed to work for heavy content sites and communities. It’s highly configurable to allow you to easily deal with a lot of content on your site and highlight featured categories. BuddyPress Scholar is designed to work for heavy content sites and highlight featured categories. It also focuses heavily on your community with strong member activity and forum themeing. What's more it's our first new release of a 1.2 compatible theme right at the release of 1.2.

It not only comes with a parent and child theme it also comes with a manual and over on the introduction page you can see a video that will help you learn what you can do with this theme.

We hope you enjoy the theme and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

You can see the features, watch the video introducing the theme and it's functionality and download it here

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@pierre.ristic: There is no live demo until we've updated all our themes to buddypress 1.2 our demo site runs all themes and to update it would cause those that haven't updated to not work so we're releasing this with the demo video and then will put on the demo server once every theme is updated. Sorry about the delay but there will be a demo just need to get all themes updated in this crossover period with 1.2 coming out.

• Damon Cook
    • Flash Drive

Awesome! Love it! However :wink: I'm having issues with sidebar widgets are not displaying. I'm just placing the Text Widget in all of the sidebar areas and the only ones that showed up are: all 4 footers, and the "default sidebar". Also, I entered a Twitter link and I don't see any "Follow me" option on the theme?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@pierre.ristic: hehe

@Damon Cook: There is no follow me it is a link to your page where people can then follow you - as in your twitter page

What sidebars exactly have you put widgets in if all of them are you using all of the templates as those apply to templates and other areas. Can you try on one say the home page (assuming you've followed the steps in install.txt to get the home template showing - which if you're using the social links you should be). Looking at what you said though you said that you didn't see a follow me option... do you mean you don't see the front page looking as the demo pictures? If so then you have to create a page and set that to the homepage template (instructions in manual) then that will show up. Let me know though if this doesn't solve that for you.

Glad you like it and we'll get it working for you.

• Damon Cook
    • Flash Drive

@tlister: Ok I'm a fool for not reading install.txt. I'm such a WPMU pro that i don't need to :wink: anywho...I got the Twitter thing working, because now I have the custom homepage working, which I didn't before, because I didn't read directions. However, the widgets is still not working. Basically what I've done is taken a Text widget and placed one in each of the sidebar areas with some Lorem Ipsum, because I wanted to see where each sidebar actually displayed.

here are the sidebars that are working: home-sidebar, page-sidebar, members-sidebar, footer1-sidebar, footer2-sidebar, footer3-sidebar, footer4-sidebar, 3colleft-sidebar, 3colright-sidebar, default-sidebar

not working sidebars: groups-directory-sidebar, blogs-directory-sidebar, members-directory-sidebar

I'm not sure what left-sidebar is for? I see that there is a 'right-sidebar' template, but no right-sidebar sidebar?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@Damon Cook: The left side bar is for the 3 column page. Each sidebar has what page it refers to in the pdf manual provided to make it a little easier to get what relates to what. Could I have a link to your site please to have a look as I need to see this not working really to see where it's failing.

• catholicservant
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Question...

Since BuddyPress 1.2 works on standalone WP installations (WPMU not required)...can I scrap my WPMU install...load a standalone WP/BP1.2 and install the Scholar theme?

Since I'm not allowing individual blogs...the MU portion isn't required.

Thanks, and this theme looks great.

-Craig

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@match11: What have you edited in your nav file so I can know as I don't get a problem viewing group pages. Do you also mean group activity not wire as wires are now streams? Also can I check you are using buddypress 1.2 to be clear. Sorry for the queries just want to be clear.

• match11
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Had to make a few modifications to the nav php file in the includes folder to get the theme working but when I click on a group's wire page - I get a page not found error.

LATEST:
    All problems stopped with template when I upgraded site to WP 2.9 and BP 1.2. Thanks for your help -

By the way... theme is great but is there any way to get widgets to appear under the SPOTLIGHT section on the right hand column on front page of SCHOLAR?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@match11: Ah yes it's a 1.2 only ready theme :slight_smile: Glad the issues have gone.

Adding a sidebar is a matter of a few processes:

1. In template-homepage.php find line 60 - 75:

<div class="h3-background">
    <h3><?php _e( 'Spotlight', 'bp-scholar' ) ?></h3>
    </div>
    <?php query_posts('category_name='. $spotlight_category . '&showposts='. $spotlight_amount . ''); ?>
    <?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

<div class="content-box-inner">

<div class="entry">
    <h4>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e( 'Permanent Link to', 'buddypress' ) ?> <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></h4>
    <div class="entry-image-side"> <span class="attach-post-image" style="height:60px;width:170px;display:block;background:url('<?php the_post_image_url($spotlight_image_display); ?>') center center repeat"> </span></div> <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    " rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e('permalink to', 'bp_scholar');?><?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php _e( 'Read more', 'bp-scholar' ) ?>
    <hr/>
    </div>
    </div>
    <?php endwhile; ?>

Remove that and add:

<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/sidebars/sidebar-spotlight.php'); ?>

2. Next go make a new file under sidebars/ called oddly enough sidebar-spotlight.php and add the following code:

<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar')
    || !dynamic_sidebar('spotlight-sidebar') ) : ?>
    <div class="widget-error">
    <?php _e( 'Please log in and add widgets to this column.', 'buddypress' ) ?> /wp-admin/widgets.php?s=&show=&sidebar=spotlight-sidebar"><?php _e( 'Add Widgets', 'buddypress' ) ?>
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

3. The final step.. go into functions.php and after line 146 put the following - line 146 is basically the end of the register_sidebars series of repeated elements.

register_sidebars( 1,
    array(
    'name' => 'spotlight-sidebarr',
    'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget-wrapper">',
    'after_widget' => '<div class="clear"></div></div>',
    'before_title' => '<div class="h4-background"><h4>',
    'after_title' => '</h4></div>'
    )
    );

I will note caution I have not tested widget-wrapper or h4-background there so you 'may' have to make that call in functions.php use modified classes or new ones for the header and side styling but the principle is the same.

A point to note using this methodology you can literally put a widget area anywhere once you have done this simply go into apperance > widgets and find the section you just created to add your widgets. I've called it spotlight-sidebar but you could literally call it anything. The key is calling it the same in the sidebar file and functions file.

Hope that helps it's a useful code snippet to keep and reuse in the future should you want to add a widget area to any template.

• andre7
    • Flash Drive

@tlister
    improvement suggestion: When a new user signs-up but enters invalid characters for a username, then this notice appears: "Only lowercase letters and numbers allowed"
    However the notice is so small and the fonts fits into the page so beautifully that its not even noticed! Could the notice font be made red and bold?

Thanks
    Andre

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@andre7: I will look at that perhaps in a version however in the meantime if you use something called firebug in firefox (a great plugin if you don't use it for seeing what does what on a website) you can right click and inspect the element (element means for instance what that text has in the source code) and then you can see what css class it refers to and add that into the child or custom.css to literally have whatever you want styling wise and whatever font you want.

You for this case would want to add:

.register-section .error{
    font-size: 14px;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #FF0000;
    }

The reason you have to do .register-section .error is without that all error messages would inherit that style which you may want in that case just have .error not .register-section .error

You may want to play with the color: bit as FF000 is really bright read :slight_smile:

Hope that helps and glad you are happy with support we endeavor to fix anything that is a problem as fast as possible.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@jonmcc: Do you mean set the front page to show as in the demo / screenshot? If so you have to create a page, link up the home template and then under settings > reading set to static home page and pick that page for the front page. You will also have to make a page called blog and then not link to a template and set that under settings > reading to the posts page. There are instructions under the manual and install.txt that should cover this for you. Pay particular note to ordering using the page ordering that comes with WordPress to make sure your Home is at the start of the navigation menu.

If this isn't what you meant if you can send me a link and describe to me in a bit more detail I will try and assist you.

• match11
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for your support RE: side bar right on front page instead of spotlight.

Worked like a treat once I fixed the error on the following code:

3. The final step.. go into functions.php and after line 146 put the following - line 146 is basically the end of the register_sidebars series of repeated elements.
    register_sidebars( 1,
    array(
    'name' => 'spotlight-sidebarr',
    'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget-wrapper">',
    'after_widget' => '<div class="clear"></div></div>',
    'before_title' => '<div class="h4-background"><h4>',
    'after_title' => '</h4></div>'
    )
    );

'name' => 'spotlight-sidebarr', should be: 'name' => 'spotlight-sidebar', (only one "R" on sidebar)

ONCE AGAIN, THANKS FOR THE GREAT SUPPORT

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

UPDATE: I just did an extensive update to Scholar. The main points are:

- Added home.php so automatically shows home layout without template allocation
    - Created blog template to be used for blog / news page
    - Added on / off for site message in header
    - Added (UK) .po and .mo and language files
    - Added support for single WP install without BuddyPress

Hope you enjoy it. Let me know if any issues.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@gsojourner: If possible can you start a new thread as this is the introduction one and best not get your issue lost under here. That being said no you can not in the current slideshow add video. You could add your own code instead of the slideshow perhaps but not and have the slideshow.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.