Introducing the WordPress Chat Plugin

Hi Guys,

Here's another new plugin for you, that we think you'll like.

Introducing the all new WordPress Chat Plugin!

This has been months in development, and we hope covers the vast majority of your live chat needs... without the need of a single piece of javascript or third party code (woot!)

It provides in post, in page (via WYSIWYG :slight_smile: chat and bottom corner (for chatting with visitors, making sales, building community) live chat.

And of course it's massively customizable.

BuddyPress and Multisite ready.

And awaiting your feedback and extra feature requests :slight_smile:

Cheers, James

• pisanojm
    • Flash Drive

Hi James,

Just one big issue I have with this with regard to the bottom corner chat box... This interferes with the Wibiya bar we are using... neither the Wibiya Bar, nor the bottom corner chat gives us the option to move either off to the side or position it above or below the other... end result is that you can't click on the bottom-corner chat to open it...

Another question... does the chat show the number of users that are currently using it anywhere or is there a way to show if somebody is "on"?

What kind of server resources does this use? Just wondering how this will tax a server......

Other than that... it works... it's clean and it looks great!

Cheers.

• drdave
    • The Crimson Coder

There is a problem in firefox where the top edge of the chat window is cut off. Setting the window height to a lower dimension won't fix the problem as it will now only cut off the bottom.

I attached images..

Also I get frequent error
    "Error establishing a database connection"
    while saving dimension changes

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

@pisanojm - Yeh, if you are using Wibya I would turn of fthe bottom corner chat.

"does the chat show the number of users that are currently using it anywhere or is there a way to show if somebody is "on"?"

Nice features, we'll look to build them into the next version.

What kind of server resources does this use? Just wondering how this will tax a server......

Hardly any :slight_smile: No worries there.

@drdave thanks for th bug reports, we'll fix them up in the next version.

• greenplanetfilms
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi,

I'm seeing similar issues in Firefox (see attached image), as well as other issues:

- Scrollbar appears in FF for the entire chat window. I know there will be a scrollbar for the chat area if there is a certain amount of content.
    - Chat window is broken. This is a z-index issue that I can fix in CSS, but you might want to tweak the plugin's CSS so individual users don't have to tweak their CSS.

I also have two questions:

- How can I turn off authentication altogether? I want potential clients to be able to chat without having to go through any hassles, but it looks as if "current user" is always on.
    - How do I chat with site visitors? Do chats show up in my superuser Dashboard?

Thanks.

• Aaron
    • CTO

- Chat window is broken. This is a z-index issue that I can fix in CSS, but you might want to tweak the plugin's CSS so individual users don't have to tweak their CSS.

This must be an artifact from abnormal z-index on items in your specific theme.

How can I turn off authentication altogether? I want potential clients to be able to chat without having to go through any hassles, but it looks as if "current user" is always on.

This is an option on the settings page.

How do I chat with site visitors? Do chats show up in my superuser Dashboard?

Through the same interface as everyone else.

Note that the frontpage chat is a bonus. The primary function of this plugin is to create and insert chats in posts or pages.

• demetriusb
    • New Recruit

I'm getting this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /nfs/c07/h04/mnt/108250/domains/activationuniversity.com/html/wp-content/plugins/chat/chat.php on line 30

Demetrius

• Marty Thornley

Wow!

I am logged in through one twitter account in Firefox, another in Safari and chatting back and forth to myself! Awesome.

One thing I noticed though, not sure if there is a fix. I was logged into twitter already in Firefox and that window recognized me as logged in but showed the default gravatar. In Safari, I went the site first to test the auth process. All went smoothly and my Twitter icon even popped up. Very cool. That made me realize it was missing from the first one.

Also noticing that after I had logged out of twitter, I was still authenticated with the chat window, even after refreshing several times and leaving the site and coming back.

Using firefox 3.6.10 and Safari 5. Default multisite install with TwentyTen and no other plugins.

• Marty Thornley

Wait a second. My bad.

The first one (firefox) is because I was logged in as site admin, so it ignored the Twitter I guess. The icon showing is because I had no gravatar yet for the admin user in this testing site.

So I logged out of the site. It made me authorize with twitter. All good. But still remain logged in to the chat after logging out with Twitter.

Would also be cool for twitter users if it said "from @username" with a link to the twitter profile. :slight_smile:

• scaseye
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Very excited about this plugin!!!

I just installed and the chat box is very small when expanded...? Is there something variable in the css that is controlling this?

I have attached what my chat window looks like when expanded.

• scaseye
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Multi Site Feature Request: Super Admin Option

I run a multisite network, but all of the sites are mine.

Would be nice if there was an option to make this controlled under the super admin section.

Meaning the settings in the main site would apply to all sites on my multisite.

I have 40+ sites running, so i have to app register 80 times. 1 for twitter 1 for fb on each site...

Not sure if that is even possible.

• scaseye
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

In addition to the small window, if I try to login a "public" user. the login fails. but I see ping activity in the logs.

I enter a user name and email click login, but get the same window back with no option to chat.

hoping this and the small window size is some kind of configuration problem.

also where do I log in to chat with users?

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@scaseye, all the issues you have sounds like an old browser issue. Could I please know what web browser you are using? In the mean time I'll try to reproduce the issues.

Multi Site Feature Request: Super Admin Option

Nice idea, we'll look into adding it in the next version. However you might have to authorize each domain on Twitter and Facebook.

@martythornley

But still remain logged in to the chat after logging out with Twitter.

Interesting bug, will get it sorted in the next release. Probably has to do with authenticating via Twitter while logged in.

Would also be cool for twitter users if it said "from @username" with a link to the twitter profile. :slight_smile:

Nice feature, we'll look into adding it in the next version.

@demetriusb, I believe you are running PHP4. We will get it fixed in the next release, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

• wkriesel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I've tested it out and really am excited about the chat plugin. I haven't found a way to delete the previous chats. Everytime I open the page, reload the browser or try a different brower, the previous chats are there? Is there a way to clean the history?

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@camaran.thomas, nope it's not an XMPP client unfortunately.

@dpayne2,

Quick thought for future add: it would be great to be able to have a restriction option on chat through the Membership plugin.

Nice feature, we'll see adding it in an up coming version.

@wkriesel, you should see an option to clear the chat by clicking "Clear" button bellow the textarea if you are logged in as an Editor or better. Normal users cannot clear the chat, if that's what you are looking for

• Shane7

Hi, great plugin.
    (1) is there a way to limit it to only be able to IM people on your friends list?

if not, then:
    (2) Is there a way to put it inside of a textbox or php widget so that we can have it stay active on our homepage as a shout box?

• David Payne

Having fun testing this out... a couple of comments:

For some reason when I create the chat function in a post or page, I'm the only one that can see it. If another users goes to the same page, all they see is any html that I've included in the page other than the chat box? Any ideas?

Secondly, for the corner chat box, if I try to resize the entire browser window, the chat window rapidly becomes distorted essentially rendering it unusuble in most cases.

Dave

• David Payne

One other thing, I echo the desire to have this work across an entire blog network. I also have multiple blogs going but they are all harbored under one large umbrella. It would be great if users could use the chat across the entire domain.

Oh, I guess I have one other idea... how about making an option exclusive for groups? In other words, the corner chat box could have a drop down menu and the user could select which groups they would like the chat function to work for. For private groups, this option would only be available for members who could access that particular group.

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

For some reason when I create the chat function in a post or page, I'm the only one that can see it. If another users goes to the same page, all they see is any html that I've included in the page other than the chat box? Any ideas?

That's interesting, can you please give us a link to the post you see the issue in.

Secondly, for the corner chat box, if I try to resize the entire browser window, the chat window rapidly becomes distorted essentially rendering it unusuble in most cases.

Could we please know the size of the browser you are having issues with? We try to resize the chat window to fit the browser window when the browser window is resized.

• David Payne

@mohanjith

Here's a link to the location for where the chat box should be seen within the page: http://physicianassistanted.com/supporter-tools/supporter-chat-sessions/

Regarding these issues in general, it was much easier for me to put together a little Jing movie to show you rather than try to explain everything in text. Here's a link to the little screen capture movie I created to highlight everything:
    http://screencast.com/t/YjUzYjQy

Thanks for your hard work!

Dave

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@dpayne2

Thank you very much for creating a screencast demonstrating the issues, it really helps. We'll get the issues with the bottom corner chat fixed ASAP.

About the in post chat, I believe you have 'Membership' plugin installed. My guess is 'Shortcode visibility default' set to 'No'.

• David Payne

@mohanjith

Thanks for looking at those issues with the corner chat function!

As far as the in post chat, you nailed it, thanks so much! As soon as I enabled the shortcode visibility it worked perfectly. I then tested to see if I could restrict it by using that particular shortcode in the membership functions and it worked beautifully. Thanks a ton!

I'll look forward to the fixes on the corner chat issues. By the way, will you announce when this has been updated?

Also, is there any chance we'll have an add on function in the future where it will be possible to see who else is online?... or even the ability to restrict chat to certain groups/friends/etc.?

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@dpayne2

As far as the in post chat, you nailed it, thanks so much! As soon as I enabled the shortcode visibility it worked perfectly. I then tested to see if I could restrict it by using that particular shortcode in the membership functions and it worked beautifully. Thanks a ton!

Always here to help :slight_smile:

By the way, will you announce when this has been updated?

Fixed version will be uploaded here first for you and anyone else to test, once it's released it would be announced.

Also, is there any chance we'll have an add on function in the future where it will be possible to see who else is online?... or even the ability to restrict chat to certain groups/friends/etc.?

Definitely, we'll add it in an up coming release.

• dillonb
    • Flash Drive

Hi guys,

I have set this up as a plugin on a multi-site network and only allow access to it to supporters.

The issue I have is that people who run blogs on my network cannot change the settings in their admin, like the colours/sizes etc, they get the error:

You do not have sufficient permissions to modify unregistered settings for this site.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dillon

• tniche
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

When I tried to activate the chat plugin I got this:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare update_notificiations_get_id_plugin() (previously declared in /home/trock/public_html/knightsofniche.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/update-notifications.php:47) in /home/trock/public_html/knightsofniche.com/wp-content/plugins/1285773528907/update-notifications.php on line 76

• greymatter
    • Flash Drive

Hi. I'm brand new at WPMUDEV, so I'm not sure this is the right place for me to be asking this, but it's at least in the ballpark. :slight_smile:

I'm wondering what the chat plugin allows. I'd like to create multiple chatrooms available to registered users, so that, for example, all users interested in topic A can be in the Topic A Chat Room, all users interested in topic B can be in the Topic B Chat Room, etc.

Is that possible with this plugin?

Thanks!
    Lee

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Lee,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

What you're wanting to do is definitely possible with the power of our Chat plugin combined with the Membership plugin.

The chat plugin allows you to create individual chats on separate pages. You'd just need to create separate subscription types with membership so that each type would only have access to their live chat page.

You can learn more about our membership plugin here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

And some additional installation/setup instructions here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/installation/

Finally, it's always best if you have a new question to start a new thread. When they get long as this one has it's easy for us to over-look a new question.

Just go to the forums page and choose a specific topic (Plugin Support, Theme Support, etc) from the sidebar on the right. Once there, select "Add New" again at the top right and create your new post.

Hope this helps! Again, welcome! :smiley:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@tniche,

That issue is caused by having two copies of the update-notifications plugin. As this plugin is in the middle of a fairly far-reaching overhaul, I'd just recommend removing it. It's not required for the chat plugin to work.

To remove this you'll want to access your site via FTP (or cPanel if you don't have FTP for some reason) and remove the following:
    wp-content/plugins/1285773528907/update-notifications.php
    (doing this will make the error you refer to go away)

And then if you want to completely remove it for now. Delete this:
    wp-content/mu-plugins/update-notifications.php

After that you should be good to go. If you encounter any further issues, please let us know. As this thread is getting rather lengthy, I'd recommend starting a new thread as I recommended to Lee above.

Thanks!

• lars2923
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I've tried getting chat to work on my wordpress blog then on another WP MU blog without success.
    The txt files unzipped provided very little information.
    Nothing under the Plugins TAB except authorization which I could not activate.
    Also nothing under any other tab, at all related to Chat.

If anyone has the step by step instructions on setting up Chat and what I should find within my
    Admin menus once installed.

I use a LInux for my server and I have complete access to cp, vi, mv, etc..

Thanx in advance for your time.

L

• lars2923
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I see Demetrius posted:

demetrius
    Posted on 22nd September 2010 (1 week ago) # I'm getting this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /nfs/c07/h04/mnt/108250/domains/activationuniversity.com/html/wp-content/plugins/chat/chat.php on line 30

Demetrius

---- I do not see a response to his post.
    I am receiving the same error. What is the solution?
    L

• lars2923
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

For Future Installers of this Plugin:
    In response to my own post:
    "I've tried getting chat to work on my wordpress blog then on another WP MU blog without success.
    The txt files unzipped provided very little information.
    Nothing under the Plugins TAB except authorization which I could not activate.
    Also nothing under any other tab, at all related to Chat.

If anyone has the step by step instructions on setting up Chat and what I should find within my
    Admin menus once installed."

I have performed the following that addresses the above. Here is what I've done.
    1) cd wp-content/plugins
    2) mkdir CHAT
    3) cd CHAT
    4) transfer WPME DEV's chat plugin zip file in the CHAT Directory
    5) unzip the WPChat...zip file remove every file except the wordpress-chat-plugin-1.zip file
    6) unzip the wordpress-chat-plugin-1.zip file
    7) cd chat-1.0.0
    8) mv chat /wp-content/plugins
    9) Log onto your blog with Administrive priviledges, go to your plugins tab and activate the plugin (chat)

Now I just need to get past the:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/43/d300765498/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/chat/chat.php on line 30
    error

• lars2923
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I need to know if there is a solution for this message received when Activating Chat.
    The message I receive when attempting to Activate is:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/43/d300765498/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/chat/chat.php on line 30

• ahab
    • Flash Drive

I added the chat feature to the wp magazine theme,
    I am not getting sounds for notifications and none of the settings are working
    the use cant see their name or the dat, or hear sounds no matter what i change it to.
    any ideas? Ive read through the posts and cant find anything related

• justin-madigan
    • Flash Drive

I just tried to install the Chat plug in and received this error: Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare update_notificiations_get_id_plugin() (previously declared in /home1/digitar1/public_html/brainandsociety/wp-content/plugins/1286213739374/update-notifications.php:47) in /home1/digitar1/public_html/brainandsociety/wp-content/plugins/livechat/update-notifications.php on line 76

Any ideas how to correct this? Thanks for all the help.

Justin

• justin-madigan
    • Flash Drive

I just tried to install the Chat plug in and received this error: Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare update_notificiations_get_id_plugin() (previously declared in /home1/digitar1/public_html/brainandsociety/wp-content/plugins/1286213739374/update-notifications.php:47) in /home1/digitar1/public_html/brainandsociety/wp-content/plugins/livechat/update-notifications.php on line 76

Any ideas how to correct this? Thanks for all the help.

Justin

• GNM
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I uploaded the chat plugin and it stuffed up the access to admin area. Corrupted the .htaccess files. Any idea why this happened?

I had to contact the host support senior admin to fix it. They had to disable the plugin.

• GNM
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Just wondering if it could have been that I changed the file name that stuffed things up? Should you keep the zip file name exactly the same? I tend to changed file names otherwise I would not know what most of them are!

I saw a notice on the plugin page, that has since disappeared, that says (and remember I had changed the file NAME) that the plugin uploaded had to be deactivated as it was basically empty. Weird.

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@musicwise

Renaming the plugin archive shouldn't be an issue but you have to delete the existing plugin with the same name before uploading a new plugin archive.

e.g. if you are uploading chat-1.0.1a9.zip to a WordPress installation with chat 1.0.0 installed, you should delete chat 1.0.1

Hope I'm clear :slight_smile:

• lars2923
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am missing something here. First I want to respond to my earlier post on just getting chat "Activited." I had to edit my .htaccess file and add the following lines:
    AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
    AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

Now, that I have it activated and I see the options to configure it under my "Settings" menu, now what?
    I do not see how I would create a page that is for chatting, or the bottom bar, etc.
    I do not find any real instructions for this plugin. Again, am I missing something?
    Any pointers now I've made this leap forward, on getting chat operational would be greatly appreciated.

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@lars2923

To configure the bottom corner chat, go into 'Settings' -> 'Chat' and then click on the 'Bottom corner chat' tab. There set the 'Show' to 'Enabled' and set the other settings appropriately. If you need help with the other settings please let us know.

To add in post/page chat, simply click on the chat icon (see attachment bellow) to add the chat shortcode and save the post.

Hope this helps.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya lars,

He'll need you to send through an admin login and password so he can take a look at your setup. As he stated above, simply submit through the contact form to his attention and provide login details and a link to this thread.

Thanks!

• lars2923
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

OK, divetalking.com chat is up and running. Thank you mohanjith for correcting any irregularities.
    Here is a summary of what I have done to get things working. They do not include mohanjith's changes, which are documented in his post,
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-wordpress-chat-plugin-alpha#post-58657

Added the following two lines to ~/.htaccess
    AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
    AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

mohanjith did some coding magic

I installed, under ~/wp-content/plugins/chat from the following zip file: chat-1.0.1a11.zip

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.