"Invalid" when attempting domain mapping

I'm getting an "invalid" when attempting to map a domain to a subdomain

What I have:

- dedicated IP IP and dedicated server with site5.com
- subdomain multisite configuration on mainsite.com
- both mainsite.com and newsite.com's GoDaddy nameservers are pointed to site5.com
- I want newsite.com to be mapped to newsite.mainsite.com
- A records in site5.com (separate cpanels of the two sites) of newsite.com shows the correct IP address
- Originally created newsite.com as a "site" in Multi-admin on Site5 to have MX records in the same place as my other sites
- 'define ('noblogredirect')' to properly redirect mainsite.com to http://www.mainsite.com

I originally decided to set up newsite.com as its own WP install until I realized I could map it with your plugin off my mainsite.com Multisite. So, newsite.com currently has its own WP install and cpanel. I can completely delete this if necessary but ideally would like to keep the separate cpanel for the domain to keep the MX records all under one roof.

hoping this easy to resolve! Thanks!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Tyler,

Hope you're doing well today and welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

Do you have the documentroot set for your WordPress install? Easiest way to test this is if you enter your IP address in your site address bar - does it go to your WordPress or somewhere else? If it goes somewhere else then you will need to contact your host and get that resolved :slight_smile:

Look forward to your reply Rocky!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler
    • New Recruit

Thanks Tyler (nice name! Ha!)!

The IP takes me to a generic Site5 page.

And when you say goes to my wordpress install, do you mean to my mainsite.com install or newsite.com install? They're both on the same IP either way...

Thanks!

• Tyler
    • New Recruit

Update: I haven't called the hosting company because I'm still not clear which install you're referring to, BUT newsite.mainsite.com is now suddenly pointing to newsite.com even though it still displays as "invalid". Additionally, newsite.com displays the secondary WP install - not newsite.mainsite.com as it should

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Tyler,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier. Nice name indeed :slight_smile: I don't see many Tyler's on here, must not be a popular name for web designer/developers.

I may have misunderstood the question in the first place here. So, you have the domain you want mapped already pointed to your hosting. Have you created an add-on or parked domain entry for it? You will find more info on this at the end of our usage guide: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

If it's working, but still says invalid, then like Ari mentioned - it likely just your hosts configuration that is giving the invalid and it's actually fine.

Look forward to your reply here Tyler!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler
    • New Recruit

Thanks Tyler! Hah!

Alright, here's where I'm at now:

I set the second domain up as a subaccount to have its own CPanel....apparently because of this, Site5 will not let me point the second domain Documentroot to my main domain WP install folder (which is what I need to do, right?)

So I'm thinking I delete the subaccount and re-add it to my main account as a parked or add-on domain. That'll still give me the DNS records I need but allow me to set the documentroot of the second domain to the main site folder. Should work in theory, yes?

Thanks for all the help Tyler & Team!

Tyler

• Tyler
    • New Recruit

Update - everything works now!

The root (no pun intended) of the problem was that i had my second domain set up with a sub account on CPanel so I couldn't configure the second domain to point to the other Wordpress install as its Document root.

I accomplished what I want by adding it as an add-on domain to the main account and just created a separate folder for storage for that domain on the main account.

The domain also seems to properly point to both the seconddomain.com and http://www.seconddomain.com. For this to happen on my mainsite, I had to use 'NOBLOGREDIRECT'. Are you guys aware if this can cause SEO issues by using noblogredirect or if there's a better method to do that?

Thanks so much for the help guys!!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Tyler,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for updating us! Glad you got this all figured out :slight_smile:

As for your follow up question there, having it point to both of them shouldn't be a problem at all SEO wise. If you are using Google Webmaster Tools(recommended for SEO) then you can tell google which one is your preferred domain.

Hope this helps!

Have a great rest of your week.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.