Inventory Warning Threshold in Marketpress

Store Settings/General

Inventory Warning Threshold At what low stock count do you want to be warned for products you have enabled inventory tracking for?

Don't each product already have their own threshold setting? Can someone share the logic?

• drdave

Sorry my bad I got confused with Tracking vs. Warning.

So whenever my total number of items in the store approaches the number set in Inventory Warning Threshold, I get a warning, while Track Inventory Stock only let's me know how many products I have left for a particular item sounds like what you're saying.

So the Inventory Warning Threshold would seem to work best for single products.

If so it would be nice to get an inventory warning on an item by item basis instead as it appears I could be overselling on a particular product if I am not manually tracking my inventory. That sounds like an awful lot of tracking for some users.

• Mason

Hiya drdave,

Sorry, that's not what I meant by "an item-by-item option for the low inventory warning".

You set the global parameter for 'low stock warning'. Let's say that number is 5.

For each individual product you can choose whether or not to track the inventory.

Here's an example: Maybe your site sells designer shoes and custom pins. You've only got a certain number of shoes in stock and then you have to re-order from your supplier. But the pins you make at home and can create more whenever you need.

In this scenario it's important to know when you get down to 5 pairs of shoes cause you need to re-order them so you'll click the 'Track Inventory' checkbox for this item and enter the actual amount of shoes you have (say 10). That way when it gets down to 5, you'll be notified.

However, with pins, you don't really care as you make them individually per order. On this product you'll leave the 'Track Inventory' box unchecked.

So, each item's stock count is tracked individually, but the stock warning is set at a global level.

Hope that clears it up a little ;D

thanks!

• drdave

@masonjames Yeah I got that but in my scenario I meant if all inventory was tracked sorry. It is possible some users may want to track all their different products. In your scenario the warning threshold doesn’t sound global but in the case seen below.

If I am tracking my inventory for 10 shoes, 15 watches, and 30 key chains and the Warning Threshold is set to 5 and I sold my last pair of shoes while still having watches and key chains above the threshold level then the alarm won't go off. It appears it will sound the alarm say when I am down to for instance 3 watches and 2 key chains. Then I got no warning for my shoes so I will still have to keep my eye on each tracking. Of course this being the case where the user needs to know when he or she is low on every product in stock.

• Mason

Hiya drdave,

We're still not communicating effectively here ;D

Your scenario is exactly what this setting does. Each item will trigger an alert when it reaches the warning threshold. If you set the threshold to 5 - then everytime a product hits 5 in the inventory it will send out the alert.

The checkbox is only there because there may be times where you don't want to track inventory. If you want to track every item go for it. You'll get alerts for individual products.

The only thing you cannot do is say I want to alerted when there are only 10 shoes left and 3 watches and 12 keychains. You can't individually define alerts. Through the settings page you define one inventory alert for all items which have 'track inventory' selected.

To me this is the most natural way for this kind of thing to work. Does that make things more clear?

Thanks!

• drdave

Your scenario is exactly what this setting does. Each item will trigger an alert when it reaches the warning threshold. If you set the threshold to 5 - then everytime a product hits 5 in the inventory it will send out the alert.

Hey masonjames thanks for clearing that up. I hope that we get the manuals going or at least for some products. This will be a great help for me - Less headache for you :slight_smile: .

And thanks for your patience I really do appreciate it. You are the best.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.