Invitation and member management using membership pro or protected content

Hi,
I'm working on developing a site with membership capabilities. I want to make sure that your plugins will be able to accomplish some crucial functionality.

Using tiered member levels, we want to create a paid group level, and free member level. In order for this to work we need the group level to be able to administer those at the member level.

Essentially we need the group to be able to invite members so that they can enroll at the free level. We want the functionality to be seamless so that we don't require group members to email a link to a hidden member registration, or something like that.

It would be preferable for the group to be able to send an invite from the backend.

Along with that we need the group to be able to remove members within that group and delete them from the directory.

Please let me know whether I will be able to accomplish this with either membership pro or protected content.

Thanks,
-Lloyd

Patrick

Hi there @Steve

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

Both the Membership Pro and Protected Content plugins enable you to create as many different subscription/membership levels & types that you need.

They also both have addons that enable you to tweak the backend access & capabilities of users on per-subscription or per-membership basis (i.e. - users on one membership can have a different WordPress role and/or capabilities than those on another).

However, regardless of the plugin or method used to grant such capabilities to some users, when an invitation is sent to a new user, they will necessarily receive an email with that invitation and a link to somewhere on your site where they may register.

Another option for your scenario may be to leverage the built-in features of the BuddyPress plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress/

Your groups could then actually be BuddyPress groups that can be managed from the front-end of your site, including inviting new users to join the group.

Steve

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out with this.

The requirements on the project moved on me a bit, so I'm trying to clarify functionality as I go. And it looks like membership pro or protected content is what we'll end up using.

I had previously integrated buddypress because I was under the impression that we were going to have a forum as well as social aspects. That doesn't seem to be the case at this point.

We want to keep a streamlined experience consisting solely of member directory and profiles. Those are the most important aspects.

However, regardless of the plugin or method used to grant such capabilities to some users, when an invitation is sent to a new user, they will necessarily receive an email with that invitation and a link to somewhere on your site where they may register.

That'll work, as long as the functionality to easily send out an invite exists. I wasn't able to locate it in the documentation. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Ash

Hello @Steve

I hope you are well today.

I am afraid, there is no invite code features in Protected Content. But in membership, you can set some invite codes. Invite codes in Protected Content is already in our to-do list.

To set Invite Codes in membership please go to Membership > Options > Extra. Here you will set some invite codes and you need to send these codes to the user you want to be registered.

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Steve

Hi @Ashok

Thanks for your response.

I was hoping for more of an integrated invitation functionality. What I mean by that is, consider this set up:
    I have a site with two levels of membership - group and member. I would like the group to be able to login and send an invite from the dashboard, like to a specific email address.

Instead of having to generate an 'invite code' (Because the member level will be free anyway). We just need to make it as easy as possible to send the invite, so it's not a process - ie. login to account, generate invite code, get private member level registration link, send email with invite code.

We want it to be streamlined - ie. Login to account, paste email into invite field, submit/send invite.

Would it be possible to accomplish this? If not, do you offer custom development support?

Ash

Hello @Steve

I am sorry invite plugin can't be integrated with protected content plugin, also this plugin is only multisite compatible.

Note that, if you use this plugin in a multisite, they can invite anyone they want. If that is the case, then as an admin, why do you need an invite code for protected content as you can't control who are they sending invitation to.

Cheers
    Ash