Invoice system in Membership 2 Pro not working as I want it to

Hi
I cant figure out how the invoice system works. I have searched the wpmu database but no luck.

I have two memberships that users can subscribe to. The payment gateways the users can choose are Manual Payment Gateway or Paypal Single Gateway. The payments are recurring payments, and the frequency is one(1) months (every month). So when the membership ends, the users access is restricted to visitor/level.

When a user subscribes to one of the two memberships, and invoice is automatically created with the status Billed, If the user chooses manual payment and i have received then i mark the invoice as paid. So far so good.

From here, it seems as if the invoices are created automatically without being presented for the users, and the invoices seem to be getting the status "paid", even though the users have not paid or seen the invoices. And off-course when it is due date, the users are not restricted to visitor-level.

The picture of the billing section, shows a user who somehow has paid for his membership in april 5 2018!

How can i make the invoice system work, so that invoices are created automatically when it is due time for payment and the users can see them automatically, and when they pay I just have to confirm the payment if they choose manual payment, and they do not pay their account gets restricted to visitor level?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Peter,

If I understand this correctly the issue with invoices being set to paid is happening only with manual payments, is that correct?

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this and check your invoices and settings?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

Please respond in this thread once access is granted.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Peter,

Thanks for granting access, I had a look at your installation and I actually don't see any invoices for 2018, did you remove those?

As for the billing issue, can you tell ID of a user that's subscribed via manual payment?

In the meantime, I have configured similar setup, based on your installation, on my test site and subscribed with manual payment for one day membership so once it expires I will be able to check it out and see if the issue is specific to your installation or it happens on my end as well.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Peter,

Some members don't like sharing usernames so we ask for the user ID in order to check the payment details for that user.
    So yes, I'm looking for a ID of the user that was subscribed via manual payment, and you can get that by going to Users > All Users, click on your user in question and then in address bar you will see part like this user_id=10 where 10 is ID of the user.

In the meantime, I got the results from my test site and the manual recurring payment is properly set to billed and is waiting for payment:

So it looks like this is specific to your installation and we might be dealing with plugin conflict here.
    Could you disable your other plugins and switch to default WP theme, after there create a one day recurring manual membership and subscribe there, mark the first payment as paid and see after a day if the new invoice is properly created and status is set to billed.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello, Peter!

I see that the user #16 is currently a member of one membership that appears as paid on Jul 4th around 8am. If I currently understand that user didn't actually make any payments, right?

Also, what about the test user that you created - did the same issue happen or did it work fine? Which one is that test user (I'd like to take a look at transactions for that account too).

Looking forward to your reply,
    Adam

• Peter

The test shows that testuser with ID# 168 works fine. In this case the user subscribed to a membership (test membership for one day) and choose manual payment, and everyday the user has been billled.

However, testuser with ID# 166 had subscribed to a membership (payment per month) the 4 juli, and I went in the 7 July as admin and changed that membership into the testMembership (for one day) and user has not been billed. Up until now, this is what the first image describes.

Then I notice that there is an invoice in draft. There I find an invoice for testuser ID#166, that has not been billed automatically, so I then manually changed the draft invoice to the status of billed, then comes two billing invoices one for the 8 July and the other for the 9 July, but both with the due date sat to the 8 of July.

It looks like problems occur when the admin changes users membership. then invoice system seems to be having problems to bill automatically.

Hope it makes sense

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Peter,

When you assign membership manually via admin then no gateway is used and the user is not billed for that membership, it will just get assigned to them.

If you want to create an invoice by manually changing the membership for user you can go to Membership 2 > Billing panel and from there click on Create New Invoice button so you can create new invoice for you member and for his desired membership.

This is the way to go about this from backend but you can also tell them to switch their membership from frontend in order to get new invoice for that membership.

Let us know if this way works for you properly.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Peter

Thanks Predrag

I will inform userss to switch their memberships.

So now what remains is that when the membership is canceled and the expire date is passed, the user still has access to the protected content. Here I have used the test user with ID# 166.

Even though users account has expired and is canceled, the user has still access to all protected content instead of access being restricted to visitor level.

• Dimitris

Hey there Peter,

hope you're doing good today and don't mind me chiming in here! :slight_smile:

So this expiration for user #166 came by itself, it's not a manual edit made by you, correct?

Could you please re-grant us with support access to this website as it seems that got auto-expired? https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

Finally, to better test different members, please install the User Switching plugin for us. :wink:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-switching/

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Peter

the expiration was made manually by me. All my memberships are monthly based. I want to make users account expire the last day of the month and billed the first day of the upcoming month. The problem is that users subscribe on different dates, so the expiration might exceed the last day of the month, and so I am forced to manually change to expiration date to the last day within that month, so they can be billed the first day of the upcoming month.

• Dimitris

Hey there Peter,

I just reviewed this user #166 and I can see that he has no active subscription to any level.

Did that happen after you refreshed the page or have you made anything else? Please advise!

As for the initial issue, I can see that it was due to a plugin conflict, so you should proceed with this flowchart to pinpoint the exact source of it.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

Finally, have you considered using a Dripped Content Membership instead?
    You could then make pages available in different intervals, under a single membership though.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Peter

Hi Dimitris

So strange. Cant explane it.... It works...

As for dripped down content. I cant see how it would help me automatically charge/bill users every first day of the month, and make their accounts automatically expire every last day of the month despite that they may have subscribed later in that month. an example the user subscribes the 14th of july, then users membership shows that it will expire the 14th of august where as user also will be billed at that point of time, but what I want is when user subscribes the 14th July then his account automatically expires the last day of july the 31th where user is also billed for the new month beginning the day after. If you have more details on how dripped content can help me achieve that?

• Dimitris

Hey there Peter,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

With dripped membership you can have kind of similar setups, not exactly the same though.

You may merge all different monthly memberships into one, and then:
    a) open content on specific dates, for example, first set of pages are being opened on July 1st, next set on August 1st
    b) open content based on the registration date of each member, so each set could be "opened" after each month for example

The payment for this membership isn't recurring on these sets, but it's rather one upfront payment for all of these.

Hope that makes sense, let me know if further assistance is required here!
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris