IPN not being recognizing

I have a serious issue with the IPN on my membership 2 Pro plugin.

We've had Membership 2 Pro set up on our site for a while. We have multiple subscribers with subscriptions using the Paypal standard gateway. I recently migrated our site to a new URL. It's a direct clone and the user's memberships are still present in the plugin. I've changed the Paypal IPN listening url, and it's set up correctly (new signups are logged as successful payments) however payments on user's existing subscriptions are being logged as 'irrelevant IPN call'.

The old/existing users are not renewing their memberships and when I have the details in the transaction logs and look at the 'post data'.
The request URL is listed as 'https://www.spo*****.co.uk:80/ms-payment-return/paypalstandard' for the 'Irrelevant IPN Call'.
For the successful payments it's listed as' https://www.spo***.co.uk/ms-payment-return/paypalstandard'

• Tom

To provide further insight into this. It has become clear that no IPNs are being received AT ALL from payments attached to existing subscriptions that were created before the site migration. These aren't being received at all in the Transaction Logs, not even as ignored or failed payments.

Only payments connected to new subscriptions, created after the migration, are being received.

I can confirm that both the IPN listening url and the Merchant Account ID are set up correctly.

• Tom

Also, I'm wondering if there is something in the Plugin's design that means someone's payment subscription will only work for the original url it was created on? (In this case the existing subscriptions were created on thegreenwoodguild.com. The site has since been migrated to spoonclub.co.uk) In the Transaction logs, when you hover over details > post data > HTTP headers > 6: host > it lists the old transaction logs under ‘host’ thegreenwoodguild.com. Whereas new ones created after the migration are listed as 'host' spoonclub.co.uk

• Tom

Here is some further information and IMPORTANT QUESTIONS from my web developer:

"We’ve moved our site to another domain. New members can sign up and pay via PayPal. There are no WP errors. This works OK.

Our PayPal recurring payments for previous customers look like they have stopped working.

I found this post by someone using your plugin and you supplied them additional code to solve their similar PayPal IPN recurring payments issue. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-2-pro-paypal-instant-payment-notification-warning

My questions are:
    1. Can you supply similar code to resolve our recurring payments issue for users that registered on domainA.com but now our site is hosted in domainB.com?

2. If we move our website to a new domain does you plugin handle recurring payments for users that registered on domainA.com but asking for access to domainB.com?

3. What does the warning “irrelevant IPN” mean in the billing log. I couldn’t find information about this on PayPal so I think it’s a term your plugin uses.

In summary: we can accept new member sign up payments on the new domain but are experiencing issues with recurring payments."

• James Morris

Hello Tom

Thank you for the additional information and questions. Our SLS Team will look into this matter as soon as technically possible and will address your concerns. I apologize for the delay. There's a queue the SLS Team has to work through in order. As soon as a SLS Tech is available, they will be assigned to your ticket and will follow up here. Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Tom

I apologize for the delay on this issue. Our Dev Team has been looking into this further for you.

The core problem is that PayPal caches the IPN URL. The IPN URL is sent in the initial transaction, and can't be changed, if an IPN URL exists in the initial IPN transaction/response, that URL overrides the actual IPN URL entered in Paypal.

So, in the case of a domain change such as this, the only way to correct the subscription's IPN URL reference is to have the member cancel their previous subscription and re-subscribe so that PayPal then caches the new, corrected IPN URL.

This is an unfortunate inconvenience, but the core problem is PayPal is caching the IPN rather than honoring their own settings in the PayPal profile. Unfortunately, there's no workaround for this at this time.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.