Ireland does not have Post/Zip Codes but it's a required field..

Hi,

I'm in the finishing stages of building a site for a client of mine who are based in Ireland. They ship only to the UK & Ireland.

I'm setting up the PayPal side of things at the moment and I've noticed 2 very serious problems that I need to try and have resolved ASAP.

Ireland does not have any Post/Zip Codes.

When I'm checking out and at the step "Shipping" if I select Ireland it still asks me for a "Postal/Zip Code".

Ideally the way this should work is that when someone selects Ireland, that it no longer becomes a required field.

If the person selects United Kingdom, then obviously that field would need to be required again.

The other issue I've noticed, under "Store Settings > Payments" If I check "PayPal Express Checkout" I can't under the settings choose Ireland as a PayPal site even though Ireland has a PayPal - https://www.paypal.com/ie/

I'm not a PHP Programmer, so this is something I would not be able to do at all so would these 2 things be able to added in?

I had an issue before where the Northern Ireland counties where not added in and I was given code to add it into a file which was then added to the next official release.

Thanks in advance
Tyler

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Again Tyler,

I tried to look but could not find a proper solution to this.

I have asked our lead developer to chime in on this thread and provide his advise on this issue.

He should be here sooner than later.

Cheers, PC

• bluesplat
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I need to update my original post.

My client has just told me now that they only ship to Ireland & Northern Ireland. 2 different currencies. 1 has postcodes and the other doesn't.

They only accept €uros so this isn't an issue. The postage costs are the same throughout Ireland & Northern Ireland.

What I now need to do, is to rename all Ireland so that it says "Ireland & Northern Ireland"

Thanks
    Tyler

• bluesplat
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for looking into this for me.

In regards to changing "Ireland & Northern Ireland"..

My client is based in the Republic of Ireland. They ship only to the Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland. They DO NOT ship to Mainland UK.

When I'm under "Shipping" in the cart, I'm able to select other countries, I only want to have Ireland / Northern Ireland as the option here since they do not ship outside the island of Ireland.

Does this make sense?

• Aaron
    • CTO

Then in shipping settings you just only check "Ireland" as a ship to location.

Regarding postal code, that is a required field for all countries, you are the first to mention one that does not use them. You would have to make a core edit to disable that check, line 2974 of marketpress.php:

if (empty($_POST['zip']))
    $this->cart_checkout_error( __('Please enter your Zip/Postal Code.', 'mp'), 'zip');

Remove those lines. I'll look at making it disableable via a define or maybe setting.

I'm also going to add the IE locale to paypal gateway settings so you can select it next release.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.