Is a static IP required?

Since you have to enter the IP address, is a static IP address for the WP MultiSite install required?

What needs to be done on the DNS side of things for the individual site's domain name to be used? Do they CNAME or A Name? What does it point to?

Thank you for helping with this introductory-level question. I'm trying to consider whether this plugin is sufficient for my need.

• aecnu

Greetings Clifford :slight_smile:

Great question sir and the answer is that a dedicated IP is not required but HIGHLY recommended.

I would approximate that 99% of the folks here on WPMU Dev that have problems with MultiSites and Domain Mapping are directly related to not having a dedicated IP.

As far as DNS is concerned, Domains would be pointed at the IP of the MS install using an "A" record.

Joe :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Clifford.

Just echoing the great advice offered by Joe on this one! :slight_smile:

A dedicated IP is much easier to deal with. A static IP is a must!!

If you had a dynamic IP which could change and then it did, all sites pointing to that IP would remain pointing to an old IP.

Out of interest, why would you be using a dynamic IP? Are you trying to set this up on a server under an ISP where IPs are not static?

What needs to be done on the DNS side of things for the individual site's domain name to be used? Do they CNAME or A Name? What does it point to?

A CNAME can be used for sub domains of course, so if a domain owner used his TLD for a static site, or something else and wanted to use say blog.domain.com, they they would use a CNAME. They could map this to your domain like theirsite.yourdomain.com.

A records are used for the TLD i.e. domain.com.

You would use the IP, and that IP must resolve to the root of your multisite install for it to work.

Hope this helps.

• aecnu

Greetings Timothy :slight_smile:

well sir if you think about it a Dynamic IP can be worked with if the person has a decent router (my favorite for the last couple of years is the D-Link DIR 655 1GB Extreme) and a provider like DLink-DDNS or equivalent service.

Of course adding another link in the chain certainly has its own unique problems and challenges plus adds one more in the chain of reliability ..... just the point being that "it can be done"

I admit this is something I have never tried to do nor recommend doing ..... lol

• Clifford P

I have a VPS with static IP and SSL, but I was wondering if I should make sure the domain I choose is assigned a static IP for this. Obviously, it's a resounding yes.

Why can't this plugin just point to the host domain instead of an IP address? That way a static IP isn't as important, right?

I'm considering a setup like this:

-host.com (WPMU install)
    -yourowndomain.com points to host.com/yourowndomain or yourowndomain.host.com
    -anotherpersonsdomain.com points to host.com/anotherpersonsdomain or anotherpersonsdomain.host.com

Basically it would be a generic set of themes and plugins so a new site activated would have the default setup. Someone would choose their blog/network's name (e.g. yourowndomain.com) and set it up just so it works.

I don't want them to ever see host.com. It's not a big deal in the backend, but I don't want their yourdomain.com to ever mention/show host.com/yourowndomain or yourowndomain.host.com.

It seems this plugin solves this need, correct?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Joe.

well sir if you think about it a Dynamic IP can be worked with if the person has a decent router (my favorite for the last couple of years is the D-Link DIR 655 1GB Extreme) and a provider like DLink-DDNS or equivalent service.

My ISP changes our IP once every few months on average unless I purchase a static IP from them.

If I hosted locally and that IP changed, then as you know, sites pointing to the old IP would no longer work. :slight_frown:

Why can't this plugin just point to the host domain instead of an IP address? That way a static IP isn't as important, right?

Thats just not how servers are set up. Its not the plugin, its just valid DNS settings.

I don't want them to ever see host.com. It's not a big deal in the backend, but I don't want their yourdomain.com to ever mention/show host.com/yourowndomain or yourowndomain.host.com.
    It seems this plugin solves this need, correct?

That is correct, this plugin will do just that. You still need to set up valid DNS though.

Dedicated IP goes to WPMU install folder.

All domains with A Record pointing to IP will then land on the WPMU install. This plugin then handles the domain name mapping for the rest of the journey. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• aecnu

Greetings Clifford and Timothy :slight_smile:

@Clifford :slight_smile: Timothy is 110% correct regarding the static IP and DNS - I might add that WordPress MS works in such a way that once a domain is resolving to an WPMS install IP, WordPress takes over and resolves the domain to the correct place - therefore resolving the domains to another domain will NOT work because WP will see it as the other domain - not the originator.

@Timothy yes sir you are fortunate that it changes only once every few months ..... lol ..... some places in the states change them every week! This causes people with VoIP and other services to have to reboot there systems after the IP change so that the new IP is captured by there Modem/Router and the service starts working again, meanwhile they are from the consumer perspective having an outage.

I have Five static IP's for my connectivity here :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.